What's new

GT-AXE11000 experiencing random disconnects on one Windows machine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahmadka

Regular Contributor
Hi guys. I returned my previous ASUS GT-AX11000 that I was trying out and instead got its big brother, the ASUS GT-AXE11000.

It's working fine however I notice that one specific Windows laptop on my network keeps disconnecting/reconnecting randomly 5-10 times a day, where every disconnect is about 15-30 seconds roughly. I have 2 other Windows machines on my network too, but they don't have this issue. Also I cannot confirm either way if these disconnects/reconnects are (or are not) happening for other non-Windows devices, since I can't have a monitor app on them.

After reading the above you may think it's this Windows machine that's the culprit. However I cannot say that it is because this issue didn't happen on the TP-Link Archer A7 which I previously used for 3+ years, and also didn't happen on the ASUS GT-AX11000 that I was previously testing out.

I have tried the following to try and solve this issue:

- Upgrade to latest official firmware (not beta)
- Reset to factory settings (don't multiple times)
- Returned and tried a different GT-AXE11000
- Installed an external Wifi adapter on the problematic Windows laptop and use that to connect to the router

None of the above solves this issue.

The ASUS logs mention several types of errors, particularly for this problematic Windows machine (either mentioning it's IP or MAC address), but those errors don't fully correlate with the disconnect/reconnect timestamps that I have through another internet connectivity testing program, so I'm not sure if they are the issue.

Attaching both the router log and the disconnect/reconnect log. In the logs, the problematic computer's IP is 192.168.1.209 and MAC address is 28:87:BA:7D:AA:EB.

I hope someone can help.

Attachments

• disconnect log.txt
    842 bytes · Views: 45
  • router log.txt
    35.2 KB · Views: 40
I see a lot of failures on 160Mhz channels. Are you trying to force 160 in the 5gig settings? The router's noise tests are failing - either cross-channel interference or radar - so it should be dropping back to 80Mhz.

What's the wireless card model in your computer?

I see a lot of failures on 160Mhz channels. Are you trying to force 160 in the 5gig settings? The router's noise tests are failing - either cross-channel interference or radar - so it should be dropping back to 80Mhz.

I'm using the default settings. I haven't changed anything myself:

1673568655141.png

Not sure. It's a Surface Laptop 4 and it's online specs just say "Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax compatible"
right click on the start menu button, choose Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, then take a screenshot

you are using a driver that is approximately 16 versions behind and 2 years old!

Download the latest Wireless Driver from here = https://downloadmirror.intel.com/764208/WiFi-22.190.0-Driver64-Win10-Win11.zip

Before you unzip the file, Do not forget to right-click on the file you just downloaded, go to Properties, then check the unblock button at the bottom if it says it was blocked because it came from the internet. If you don't do this, it will lead to erroneous installation as the installer wouldn't have the proper privileges.

Download the latest Bluetooth driver from here = https://downloadmirror.intel.com/763703/BT-22.190.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe

Do not forget to right-click on the file you just downloaded, go to Properties, then check the unblock button at the bottom if it says it was blocked because it came from the internet. If you don't do this, it will lead to erroneous installation as the installer wouldn't have the proper privileges.

Install them then reboot

Thanks for your help and I hate to disappoint, but I installed these drivers, rebooted, and within minutes I experienced another 14 second disconnection :/

And now I'm using a much more recent driver version:

1673616392114.png

Also yesterday I tried another Wifi adapter (this one), and I still experienced these disconnections with that adapter too, even though I installed the latest drivers for it from TP-Link website.

Thanks for your help and I hate to disappoint, but I installed these drivers, rebooted, and within minutes I experienced another 14 second disconnection :/

And now I'm using a much more recent driver version:

View attachment 47127

Also yesterday I tried another Wifi adapter (this one), and I still experienced these disconnections with that adapter too, even though I installed the latest drivers for it from TP-Link website.

Try this as your next step:

Resetting the network stack

Download this file, unblock it as I explained earlier, then run it as admin, once it finishes resetting all your network settings, restart your computer and try again:

Download Reset Network.bat

Code:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
arp -d *
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
@echo Restart your computer
PAUSE

If all that don't get it, browse over to https://linuxmint.com/download.php and fetch whatever your heart desires (I'm running Cinnamon). "Burn" it raw to a thumb drive, then "restart" (not "shut down") the computer and boot the thumb drive. There'll be a boot menu option (most certainly the default) to "evaluate" or so, the system. Absolutely no harm will befall your computer / Windows.

Ought to be intuitive enough to get to where you enter the password for the wireless SSID, and check your hardware from a different perspective.

Who knows, you may well decide to use the installer to shrink your Windows partition (100% success in at least 10s of such/like installations over the years) and install an optionally-bootable OS.

Download this file, unblock it as I explained earlier, then run it as admin, once it finishes resetting all your network settings, restart your computer and try again:

Download Reset Network.bat

Code:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
arp -d *
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
@echo Restart your computer
PAUSE

Tried this and the steps in your previous post, but they don’t help. I still get disconnects :(

Tried this and the steps in your previous post, but they don’t help. I still get disconnects :(
Did you update the “Bluetooth” to the newest? They are a matched pair.

If you expect 160 band, lower your expectations. It may be locked out in the Bios.

The “Google” has plenty of info regarding problems with Intel AX200, AX201, AX210…

Did you update the “Bluetooth” to the newest? They are a matched pair.

If you expect 160 band, lower your expectations. It may be locked out in the Bios.

The “Google” has plenty of info regarding problems with Intel AX200, AX201, AX210…

Yes I updated the bluetooth driver too.

So are you suggesting the problem is with the AX201 and not the router ?

Note that as I mentioned above, I also tried using this external Wifi adapter and the problematic PC still has disconnects when using this adapter to connect to the same router. So the problem isn't just isolated to the AX201 wifi card.

Also, this AX201 worked perfectly fine with the previous TP-Link Archer A7 router which I used for 3 years.

Yes I updated the bluetooth driver too.

So are you suggesting the problem is with the AX201 and not the router ?

Note that as I mentioned above, I also tried using this external Wifi adapter and the problematic PC still has disconnects when using this adapter to connect to the same router. So the problem isn't just isolated to the AX201 wifi card.

Also, this AX201 worked perfectly fine with the previous TP-Link Archer A7 router which I used for 3 years.

The TP-Link Archer A7 is an AC RATED Router and works on the 20/40/80MHz Band, not 160.

Yeah, it's the Intel AX201 or the Surface Pro Laptop.
Not sure. It's a Surface Laptop 4 and it's online specs just say "Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax compatible"

"compatible" has you confused with what actually works.

If you want to try, unconnected to the internet: go to "Device Manager" and uninstall the AX201 adapter, then immediately reboot and let Windows reinstall the drivers. Then get back online.

You can also force the AX201 to use different settings in the "ADVANCED" Tab, your post #9.

The TP-Link Archer A7 is an AC RATED Router and works on the 20/40/80MHz Band, not 160.

Yeah, it's the Intel AX201 or the Surface Pro Laptop.

So are you saying that the AX201 has trouble using the 160 MHz band with this GT-AXE11000 router ? Would disabling the 160 MHz band on the AX201 fix this issue (and is it even possible to do this) ?

But this won't explain why I experienced disconnects when I disabled the AX201 and used an external TP-Link AC1300 Wifi adapter (this one) to connect to the router, using the same Surface Laptop and the same 5G SSID. I don't think this external Wifi adapter supports 160 MHz, but it still experienced disconnects.

Would disabling the 160 MHz band on the AX201 fix this issue (and is it even possible to do this) ?
The 160hz is disabled by default, you must have enabled it yourself. It's in the Wireless tab towards the bottom, just uncheck it, hit apply, then reboot the router just to be on the safe side.

I have an Intel AX210 in both my laptops and have 0 issues even connecting to the 160hz band.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!