What's new

GT-AXE11000 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How are you finding the GT-AXE11000 so far

Amazon may open the page

I bought two AXE11000 to have in Aimesh mode. So far it’s been really buggy. Second router that’s acting as a node is consistently disconnecting throughout the day. Have had it since Friday. I’m sure it will be buggy for the first couple of firmwares. I occasionally get full download speeds from my 802.11AX devices. The 6Ghz band is being used as a wireless backhaul to the second router, which has a computers, Apple TV, and a gaming console using the lan ports, getting full download speeds from my Fios service on each lan device on the node, but wirelessly from the node is giving me slow AX speeds. The old AX11000 which I had two in AiMesh were performing much better.

Before I get questioned about having two... getting full advertised speeds from my Fios provider on the other side of my home is why I get these Triband routers, I can’t run Ethernet across the home. The AiMesh is amazing being able to use a dedicated wireless backhaul when you can’t run cable. I get my full advertised speeds pretty much across the home, I’ll be adding a switch to my node so I can add more wired devices on the other side of the home.
You can send feedback via your webGUI, ASUS will check the log and feedback to you regarding the issue you mentioned.

The fact that Amazon has removed the router from its search results should tell you something.

Did you guys really expect a fully functioning router given past experience with first-in-category products?
Back in stock for March Delivery.

Update on my experience so far. My GT-AXE arrived with an earlier firmware than what is listed on the Asus website as the initial release. I didn’t realize that and had no luck getting my AX210 or S21 Ultra to connect. Would get incorrect password error with my S21. The S21 was able to see the 6E network, but the AX210s were not.

I only bought the router for its 6E capability so in my experiments I have disabled its 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and wired it to the LAN of my GT-AX11000 so I can still use my home network and have 6E. Once I was online, I updated the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386.42026, reset the router and continued to set it up.

So far. Neither of my two AX210 computers can see the 6E network. I even updated my driver to 22.30.0.1, 01/20/2021, which you can download and extract from Killer Network Driver Suite.

MyS21 Ultra does recognize the 6E network with release firmware. It will connect at 2.2GBps and then drop down to 500-800Mbps, however it will not connect to any of the 6E guest networks. Keep getting incorrect password error, even tried with open authentication – no luck.

As far as the Android apps that scan for 6E networks. WiFiScanner by bitbatzen does see the 6E network, but can’t identify what channel it’s broadcasting and therefore wont show up correctly in their app. I managed to find another app, Expert Speed Test WiFi Analyzer by analiti, which does correctly identify the 6E network and it’s attributes.

Not sure if Windows or the Intel driver is prohibiting my two AX210 computers from seeing and connecting, but hopefully there will be some progress before my return window closes.

Also just noticed neither of my two computers which were recently upgraded to the AX210 will not enter sleep mode, while my computers that are using the AX200 have no issues going to sleep. Not sure this is related or just coincidence.

Last edited:
@erick_e I don't know how wide your return window is, but it's obviously very early days for 6E. I would expect tough going for at least a few months. If you're looking for reliable operation, cut your losses and return the product now.

I’m waiting on the Axe86u (if there’s ever such a product). I’ve had a decent experience with the Ax86u... unlike the Ax89x which I had to return.

My sympathies for you early adopters. The experience sounds frustrating, especially with the ax210 not seeing the asus 6 GHz band. I wonder the experience will be like on other 6 GHz routers...

I do have the ax210 in my system... performs better than the ax200 using 5 GHz Wi-Fi 6, and I don’t have any sleep issues with it.

Update on my experience so far. My GT-AXE arrived with an earlier firmware than what is listed on the Asus website as the initial release. I didn’t realize that and had no luck getting my AX210 or S21 Ultra to connect. Would get incorrect password error with my S21. The S21 was able to see the 6E network, but the AX210s were not.

I only bought the router for its 6E capability so in my experiments I have disabled its 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and wired it to the LAN of my GT-AX11000 so I can still use my home network and have 6E. Once I was online, I updated the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386.42026, reset the router and continued to set it up.

So far. Neither of my two AX210 computers can see the 6E network. I even updated my driver to 22.30.0.1, 01/20/2021, which you can download and extract from Killer Network Driver Suite.

MyS21 Ultra does recognize the 6E network with release firmware. It will connect at 2.2GBps and then drop down to 500-800Mbps, however it will not connect to any of the 6E guest networks. Keep getting incorrect password error, even tried with open authentication – no luck.

As far as the Android apps that scan for 6E networks. WiFiScanner by bitbatzen does see the 6E network, but can’t identify what channel it’s broadcasting and therefore wont show up correctly in their app. I managed to find another app, Expert Speed Test WiFi Analyzer by analiti, which does correctly identify the 6E network and it’s attributes.

Not sure if Windows or the Intel driver is prohibiting my two AX210 computers from seeing and connecting, but hopefully there will be some progress before my return window closes.

Also just noticed neither of my two computers which were recently upgraded to the AX210 will not enter sleep mode, while my computers that are using the AX200 have no issues going to sleep. Not sure this is related or just coincidence.
You need to get both trial version of windows OS and Intel AX210 driver to see 6G SSID, their current released version prohibited 6E, so you are not able to see it and use it. Suggest you to send feedback via router webGUI to ASUS if you have any issues.

You need to get both trial version of windows OS and Intel AX210 driver to see 6G SSID, their current released version prohibited 6E, so you are not able to see it and use it. Suggest you to send feedback via router webGUI to ASUS if you have any issues.
You don’t need the preview version of W10, just need the 20.30.0.11 driver and a registry edit to enable 6 GHz. Even if you use W10 preview you still need the reg edit for Intel WiFi subsection.

1. Open RegEdit
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. Under it open SYSTEM
4. Under that open ControlSet001 or ControlSet
5. Under it Open Control
6. Under that Class
7. Then find the key that contains Class Net (Actual key ID varies by individual so won’t make sense to post ID)
8. Under it click on 001 and add the DWORD and value mentioned below:

Is6GhzBandSupported=00000001

Last edited:
I’m waiting on the Axe86u (if there’s ever such a product). I’ve had a decent experience with the Ax86u...

Highly unlikely to ever appear, as Wifi 6e requires a third dedicated radio. So only tri-band routers are expected to support Wifi 6e.

I activated the AX210's 6GHz support using the driver from the Killer package and the registry edit. As mentioned above, it's necessary to configure the GT-AXE11000 to use Opportunistic Wireless Encryption instead of WPA3. This does work with Windows 10 Pro but the speeds are slightly slower - with 5GHz I see about 97MB/sec with FTP file transfers from a local Ubuntu server; with 6GHz that drops to about 90MB/sec. Obviously more driver updates are needed.

I activated the AX210's 6GHz support using the driver from the Killer package and the registry edit. As mentioned above, it's necessary to configure the GT-AXE11000 to use Opportunistic Wireless Encryption instead of WPA3. This does work with Windows 10 Pro but the speeds are slightly slower - with 5GHz I see about 97MB/sec with FTP file transfers from a local Ubuntu server; with 6GHz that drops to about 90MB/sec. Obviously more driver updates are needed.
I wonder if certain 6 ghz channels have higher speeds than others? I mean 6 ghz is empty now, so it shouldn't really matter, but on 5ghz i get the best speeds on channel 100/104.

My post how to enable wifi 6E and connect to it successfully. Easy without any tweaks. Just enable 1 feature and good to go.

@erick_e I don't know how wide your return window is, but it's obviously very early days for 6E. I would expect tough going for at least a few months. If you're looking for reliable operation, cut your losses and return the product now.
@thiggins I have until March 6th, so I'll keep it for a while before I make a decision.

@avtella, thanks for the registry tip. I had 23 keys under the one for my Class Net. I found the key, in my case 0020, containing the AX210 information and added the DWORD Value to it. I have attached a picture for those not familiar with Register Editor.

Reg.jpg

For now more experiences with the router below.

I tried to test the signal strength for the 80MHz wide channels, however something seems off. The router list 48 20MHz wide channels, but only 12 80MHz channels which are all off center. I thought there were supposed to be 59 20 MHZ channels and 14 80 MHz channels.

Anyways, here is what I have for signal strength in my living room about 30 feet away through two walls. For reference my normal 5GHz RSSI is about -50 and SNR is about 45.

80MHz

ChannelRSSISNRNoise
215-67 to 6333-94
197-71 to 6632-94
181-82 to 7029-95
165-82 to 7727-95
149-79 to 7328-95faded away
133-76 to 7222-96
117-72 to 6930-96
101-69 to 6637-95
85-79 to 7730-95faded away
69-73 to 7724-96
53-78 to 7628-94
37-77 to 7628-95

The only way I am able to connect with my AX210 is using Opportunistic Wireless Encryption, which obviously isn’t secure, even though I’m sure no one else in my neighborhood has a 6E client. When WPA3 is enabled Windows says “This Wi-Fi network uses an older security standard that might not protect you”

Also started to get this BSOD this morning. So much work still needs to be done in regards to drivers and firmware but I’ve got a month to experiment.

BSOD.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if its worth to wait for wifi 6e. This router is interesting, but it will probably take months until it is completely stable and for adapters to receive proper drivers.

Currently still using my AC86U, but I now have 3 devices that can connect to AX, so I am sort of looking to upgrade to something better. My original plan was to upgrade to this router to be more futureproof, but I would need to upgrade some wireless adapters (one of them is still on 1x1 802.11ac, so I will upgrade that one soonish, I was debating on the AX200 or AX210).

If you're going to swap adapters, might as well go for the AX210. Those who have upgraded say it works better than the AX200 with AC routers.

If you are fine with your AC86U, I'd wait until 6E stabilizes and more routers are available. Do you really want to pay > $500 to be a beta tester?

All the hyped "improvements" of AX (OFDMA, TWT, etc.) are still in early stages. I've yet to see any performance benefit from OFDMA.

@thiggins I have until March 6th, so I'll keep it for a while before I make a decision.

@avtella, thanks for the registry tip. I had 23 keys under the one for my Class Net. I found the key, in my case 0020, containing the AX210 information and added the DWORD Value to it. I have attached a picture for those not familiar with Register Editor.

View attachment 30465

For now more experiences with the router below.

I tried to test the signal strength for the 80MHz wide channels, however something seems off. The router list 48 20MHz wide channels, but only 12 80MHz channels which are all off center. I thought there were supposed to be 59 20 MHZ channels and 14 80 MHz channels.

Anyways, here is what I have for signal strength in my living room about 30 feet away through two walls. For reference my normal 5GHz RSSI is about -50 and SNR is about 45.

80MHz

ChannelRSSISNRNoise
215-67 to 6333-94
197-71 to 6632-94
181-82 to 7029-95
165-82 to 7727-95
149-79 to 7328-95faded away
133-76 to 7222-96
117-72 to 6930-96
101-69 to 6637-95
85-79 to 7730-95faded away
69-73 to 7724-96
53-78 to 7628-94
37-77 to 7628-95

The only way I am able to connect with my AX210 is using Opportunistic Wireless Encryption, which obviously isn’t secure, even though I’m sure no one else in my neighborhood has a 6E client. When WPA3 is enabled Windows says “This Wi-Fi network uses an older security standard that might not protect you”

Also started to get this BSOD this morning. So much work still needs to be done in regards to drivers and firmware but I’ve got a month to experiment.

View attachment 30466
The reason why you only see 12 channels because you have PSC (Preferred Scanning Channel) enabled. If you turn it off, you will see more channels. Like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206-135824_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-135824_Samsung Internet.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20210206-135828_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-135828_Samsung Internet.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 151
If you're going to swap adapters, might as well go for the AX210. Those who have upgraded say it works better than the AX200 with AC routers.

If you are fine with your AC86U, I'd wait until 6E stabilizes and more routers are available. Do you really want to pay > $500 to be a beta tester?

All the hyped "improvements" of AX (OFDMA, TWT, etc.) are still in early stages. I've yet to see any performance benefit from OFDMA.

Thank you. One of my laptops has a CNVi card, I wonder if thats upgradable to the AX210

The reason why you only see 12 channels because you have PSC (Preferred Scanning Channel) enabled. If you turn it off, you will see more channels.
Keep in mind if you do that, you may see lag spikes more often as the STA goes off channel to scan. The PSC are purposely spaced at 80 MHz intervals to coincide with the minimum bandwidth most devices will use.

The AP should be supporting channel advertisement in 2.4 and 5 GHz and the STA should be looking there for channel info.

This Litepoint blog post has a good explanation.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!