What's new

GT-AXE11000 NAS USB drive sharing not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timg11

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to configure a shared USB drive on the GT-AXE11000. Current firmware version is
1615071440439.png

which I believe is the only version so far.

I have inserted the Passport SSD drive, and enabled sharing on the USB Application / Servers Center / Network Place (Samba) page.

From both Windows and Ubuntu clients, I get "connection refused"
If I understand the interface, the drive is supposed to be expanded and permissions assigned for users.
When I click on the drive "WD My Passport 264F" below the device "GT-AXE11000", a spinning circle appears and spins forever

Is the drive sharing functionality broken, or is there another configuration step necessary?

1615071357514.png

My guess is that the drive is formatted as exFAT which the router doesn't support. Try reformatting the drive as NTFS and seeing if that works.

My guess is that the drive is formatted as exFAT which the router doesn't support. Try reformatting the drive as NTFS and seeing if that works.
@ColinTaylor, That is correct - the Passport drive did come as exFAT. I reformatted as NTFS.
I can see the drive contents now;

1615151715229.png

Unfortunately the sharing control buttons (R/W, R, No) cannot be selected.
The radio buttons do not change state when clicked. Any clicks are ignored.

The Edit icon allows changing folder names, but does not enable setting the sharing attributes?

Any other hints?

@ColinTaylor, correct again - the folders are indeed shared R/W, even though the radio buttons do not indicate that state. Thanks!

If I was the UI designer, I'd replace the row of buttons with the message "Not Applicable with guest login enabled"

I have updated to firmware 3.0.0.4.386_43986.
I have the same NTFS formatted SSD drive as before that was working fine with prior firmware versions.
The behavior has reverted to the original issue:

Insert the drive, it is visible on the USB Application / Servers Center / Network Place (Samba) page.
Click on the drive, and rather than expanding, there is a spinning circle forever.

The USB drive icon at the upper left reports "unmounted"

Has something changed in the way USB sharing works?

The USB drive icon at the upper left reports "unmounted"
My first guess would be that the filesystem on the USB drive is corrupted. Look in the router's System Log at boot time for error messages indicating why it can't mount the drive. Or use the Heath Scanner in the GUI (Network Map > USB Drive > Heath Scanner).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!