What's new

GT-AXE16000 - Best Wifi 6/6e Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crospa91

New Around Here
Hi everyone.
I know it might be a silly question but it's 3 days that I am banging my head around this but I can't find the solution.
I do have a Fibre Optic Package with 3Gb connection.
Wired, everything works smooth as butter, no problem whatsoever.
Wi-Fi is where all the issues are.
The internet provider gave me as part of a contract a Linksys Velop as router, that of course I am not using since the ONT device is wired with a 10Gig port on the router.
When troubleshooting the wifi speed, I've noticed tho that leaving the Asus router, completely wiped and fresh (no changes, everything by default) all my clients (wifi 6 and 6e) don't get more than 200/300Mbps, where with the velop I can get up to 900/950Mbps
Now I know that this router is perfectly capable of delivering the same wifi speed but why I can't seems to manage to make it output this way?
The Velop don't have any settings whatsoever on the wifi, it's all automatic, where in the Asus router, after I was fiddling a bit with them, yesterday I've managed to get 900mbps on my iPhone 14 pro with it, but then this morning we rolled back to 300Mbps.
Does anyone here have any suggestion on what settings to change or look into the Asus router in order to accomplish the same wifi speeds?

For reference:

The router is the GT-AXE16000
Running 388.2_2_rog merlin

What I have attempted so far:
Separate all the bands and assign them different SSID, Same issue.
Same SSID across the band without Smart Connect, Same Issue
Same SSID with Smart Connect, Same issue.
Attempted to factory restore the router already, and activated Jumbo Frame in Lan (I was reading that it can help)
No QoS, AI Protection or Traffic Analyser are active, all off.

This is gonna be my next test. restore it back to stock and see if there is any improvement

Other than Smart Connect not really working and AiMesh not taking the 5gz-2 band as a hidden name_dwb ssid, I haven't had any speed issues with mine on the stock firmware.

Use the Asus defaults and do not use DFS channels. You spent the big bucks for the beast so don't second guess it.

Hi everyone.
I know it might be a silly question but it's 3 days that I am banging my head around this but I can't find the solution.
I do have a Fibre Optic Package with 3Gb connection.
Wired, everything works smooth as butter, no problem whatsoever.
Wi-Fi is where all the issues are.
The internet provider gave me as part of a contract a Linksys Velop as router, that of course I am not using since the ONT device is wired with a 10Gig port on the router.
When troubleshooting the wifi speed, I've noticed tho that leaving the Asus router, completely wiped and fresh (no changes, everything by default) all my clients (wifi 6 and 6e) don't get more than 200/300Mbps, where with the velop I can get up to 900/950Mbps
Now I know that this router is perfectly capable of delivering the same wifi speed but why I can't seems to manage to make it output this way?
The Velop don't have any settings whatsoever on the wifi, it's all automatic, where in the Asus router, after I was fiddling a bit with them, yesterday I've managed to get 900mbps on my iPhone 14 pro with it, but then this morning we rolled back to 300Mbps.
Does anyone here have any suggestion on what settings to change or look into the Asus router in order to accomplish the same wifi speeds?

For reference:

The router is the GT-AXE16000
Running 388.2_2_rog merlin

What I have attempted so far:
Separate all the bands and assign them different SSID, Same issue.
Same SSID across the band without Smart Connect, Same Issue
Same SSID with Smart Connect, Same issue.
Attempted to factory restore the router already, and activated Jumbo Frame in Lan (I was reading that it can help)
No QoS, AI Protection or Traffic Analyser are active, all off.
Any update to this? I’m having the same issue

Are you getting full speeds from LAN ports? What does your memory / CPU footprint look like?
I just switched to 1 gig internet and my wifi 6E devices can reach 700M - 900 Mbps no problem while my apple devices on Wifi6 5Ghz range from 450 to 650.

You can try a couple of things:

- switch to a 5ghz band with less interference (I read that lower bands tend to have worse interference); also check your router placement

- make sure your routers CPU and RAM usage are in normal range

- don't use rog themed FW, use plain one instead

- copy and use your Linksys routers MAC address

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!