What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been running my ax11000 in wireless aimesh mode with my RT-AX92U for 2 or 3 years. It's worked well and been reliable. I have about 10 ports forwarded, and around 20 fixed IP addresses. I'm sure I've made other changes which I don't remember. I'd like to not have to set that all up again.

I want to buy an axe16000.

Plan 1 is to make a backup of the ax11000, load that on the axe11000, and see if that will get it up and running with the RT-AX92U in mesh mode, just like magic.
Then, factory reset the 11k, and add it is as a 2nd AIMESH. Is this likely to work?

Plan 2 would be to set the E16k up from scratch, adding all the port forwards, fixed IP addresses, and whatever else I've changed on the 11k (I use 10.0.0.x addressing, e.g.), then factory reset the RT-AX92 and 11k and add those as as remotes.

I'm not a networking pro, but I can figure things out and ask questions online and get everything working. Should I go the easy route with plan 1 (restore backup), or plan 2 (start from scratch, enter all settings)?

Thanks for any advice.

(why am I upgrading? Just because I like shiny new tech, and the 16k is the first shiny router I've seen. No technical reason for doing this)

I've been running my ax11000 in wireless aimesh mode with my RT-AX92U for 2 or 3 years. It's worked well and been reliable. I have about 10 ports forwarded, and around 20 fixed IP addresses. I'm sure I've made other changes which I don't remember. I'd like to not have to set that all up again.

Plan 1 is to make a backup of the ax11000, load that on the axe11000, and see if that will get it up and running with the RT-AX92U in mesh mode, just like magic.
Then, factory reset the 11k, and add it is as a 2nd AIMESH. Is this likely to work?

Plan 2 would be to set the E16k up from scratch, adding all the port forwards, fixed IP addresses, and whatever else I've changed on the 11k (I use 10.0.0.x addressing, e.g.), then factory reset the RT-AX92 and 11k and add those as as remotes.

I'm not a networking pro, but I can figure things out and ask questions online and get everything working. Should I go the easy route with plan 1 (restore backup), or plan 2 (start from scratch, enter all settings)?

Thanks for any advice.

(why am I upgrading? Just because I like shiny new tech, and the 16k is the first shiny router I've seen. No technical reason for doing this)

If you want no problems option 2 is what you should use.

CC

Hey. I finally got 3Gbps internet installed. AXE16000 > Cat8 cable > Intel X550-AT2 PCIe card > PC. Wire connected.
When I do Internet Speed tests on the PC I get 1.4Ghps down 1.xxGbps up. When I download a large file I average 2.2Gbps.
When I do the Internet speed test on the AXE16k router I am getting 3.1Gbps down 3.2Gps up.
Standing next to the AXE16k, Samsung S21U get 1.5Gbps down/up consistently.

I've not seen anything on the PC hit near 3Gbps. Windows 11. Not sure if this is as good as it gets or not. Only Asus service I have switched on is aiprotection + standard FW, IPv4 only, etc. None of these enabled: Traffic Analyzer, Web History, Adaptive QoS, Game boost, Web & apps filters, bandwidth monitor, Mobile Game Mode.

Thanks for any advice.

I would try the restore config. If it works great, if not, do a factory reset and install plain new router.

Here's my experience with the AXE16000:

I replaced my ax11000/RT-AX92U wireless mesh with just the E16k.

I did a firmware update when it first powered on.
I used the same SSIDs and passwords as on the ax11k so the 38 devices I have would all connect without me updating them. Only a few failed to join the new network automatically, but did after a power cycle.

4400 sq ft house, 2 floors. Sheetrock walls. Some wifi cameras outside. Those were the reason I had an AX92U mesh node.

Cameras all running, one Roku streaming, and kid playing a game online while I did some testing.

I have 500M fiber optical service.
Speedtest on the router was 500 up and down. Limit of my service rather than the router, most likely.

Speedtest on my Windows PC connected in the 5G channel was 495 down/295 up. That's better than I got on the ax11k, but I don't recall by how much.

My outdoor cameras are streaming full speed without a mesh node, so that's an improvement. Those are on 2.4G.
I have a Samsung Fold 4 phone, and it connected to the 6E band. I ran a web-based speed test: 500 down, 450 up.

I was not rigorous about making sure all the radio settings were the same, nor how I ran speed tests, so this is not a scientific comparison, just casual observations, but I feel I have better range and speed than before.

I had planned to make a mesh with the ax11k and AX92U, but I'm going to hold off for now, as everything seems to be fine with just the e16k.

Hey. I finally got 3Gbps internet installed. AXE16000 > Cat8 cable > Intel X550-AT2 PCIe card > PC. Wire connected.
When I do Internet Speed tests on the PC I get 1.4Ghps down 1.xxGbps up. When I download a large file I average 2.2Gbps.
When I do the Internet speed test on the AXE16k router I am getting 3.1Gbps down 3.2Gps up.
Standing next to the AXE16k, Samsung S21U get 1.5Gbps down/up consistently.

I've not seen anything on the PC hit near 3Gbps. Windows 11. Not sure if this is as good as it gets or not. Only Asus service I have switched on is aiprotection + standard FW, IPv4 only, etc. None of these enabled: Traffic Analyzer, Web History, Adaptive QoS, Game boost, Web & apps filters, bandwidth monitor, Mobile Game Mode.
For me, AiProtection was the culprit. With it enabled, I can only get about 2.6Gbps wired upload/download speeds on my PC vs 8.9-9.2Gbps with AiProtection off. So disabling it should probably give you your full 3Gbps wired speeds as advertised by your ISP or close to it.

For me, AiProtection was the culprit. With it enabled, I can only get about 2.6Gbps wired upload/download speeds on my PC vs 8.9-9.2Gbps with AiProtection off. So disabling it should probably give you your full 3Gbps wired speeds as advertised by your ISP or close to it.
So I disabled AiProtection and the speeds actually dropped. WTF until I kept reading your message. I am running cfosspeed for donkey years. I turned it off and hit full 3.1Gbps down 3.2Gbps up. Then enabled AiProtect and its gone 3.3Gbps down 3.2Gbps up. I'll take that. Router CPU/RAM does not even increase - at all, 1x CPU goes a bit up like a few pixels up, other 3x are idle. Thank you 80, your post triggered the path to wire speed. You are awesome:eek:o_O

Here's something I was not expecting. Win11. Web browsers. Firefox, Edge, Brave. All three web browsers download speeeds fine. Upload speeds. Edge + Brave are fine. Firefox upload tops 700Mbps to 1Gbps. Restarted. Same. Edge + Brave hit wire speed each time. Started Firefox in safe mode, all extension disabled > still the same. Rebooted. Same. Disabled Win11 QOS. Same. Anyone come across something like this before? I know the links fine, its specifcally something Firefox is doing. Not changed any settings recently in FF.

Purchased two units with a sale on them at Staples.

Took a fair bit of time getting them both on 388.1 Merlin, but afterwards I was able to set up wired backhaul after a couple tries where it failed.

Been working flawlessly since.

Purchased two units with a sale on them at Staples.

Took a fair bit of time getting them both on 388.1 Merlin, but afterwards I was able to set up wired backhaul after a couple tries where it failed.

Been working flawlessly since.
What did you pay for those? 649?

CC

So... is the GT-AXE16000 worth it? I am getting a replacement RT-AX89X from RMA. Thinking about selling it and getting one.

My GT-AX11000 is running in the RT-AX89X's place and it works so good but limited to 2.5 gig. Its wireless covers even better than the RT-AX89X does. I'm definitely afraid I'll dislike the limited options running TP-Link's firmware. I would just have to sell the RT-AX89X and the GT-AX11000 to be able to justify upgrading to the GT-AXE16000.

So... is the GT-AXE16000 worth it? I am getting a replacement RT-AX89X from RMA. Thinking about selling it and getting one.
Yeah the two 10Gb ports are fantastic and a complete necessity for me going forward. A router with only one 10Gb port isn't really a true 10Gb router - you need two ports, one in one out to a switch for a true 10Gb backbone. And if you aren't doing a custom Pfsense router build, this is pretty damn good for the money.

And it's a shiny new toy that you can spend quite some time playing with lol.

Yeah the two 10Gb ports are fantastic and a complete necessity for me going forward. A router with only one 10Gb port isn't really a true 10Gb router - you need two ports, one in one out to a switch for a true 10Gb backbone. And if you aren't doing a custom Pfsense router build, this is pretty damn good for the money.

And it's a shiny new toy that you can spend quite some time playing with lol.
Oh yes, I have a QNAP QSW-M408-4C right off the router and feeding the rest of my multi-gig devices. Using Link Aggregation off of the GT-AX11000 for now.

I did pfSense/OPNsense for a while but i really don't want to build yet another rig that's always on and I would still have to deal with a wireless AP. If the GT-AXE16000 covers as well as the 11000, it'd be great, plus the addition of 6E wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Just ordered one after getting approval from the Finance committee (my wife). No tax with the B&H card. Should be here by Wednesday!

My GT-AX11000 is running in the RT-AX89X's place and it works so good but limited to 2.5 gig. Its wireless covers even better than the RT-AX89X does. I'm definitely afraid I'll dislike the limited options running TP-Link's firmware. I would just have to sell the RT-AX89X and the GT-AX11000 to be able to justify upgrading to the GT-AXE16000.
I run TP-link 5300's as access points and let my (was AX89X) now the 16000 do the heavy lifting of routing and all the blocking and crap. A single 16000 can't cover my whole house sadly so I had to do something like this.

I have 2 of AXE16000 paired in AiMesh with latest not beta software and when I enable Ethernet backhaul mode for AiMesh it suggest me only 2 SSID that also have wrong names - one is 2.4 ghz with name of current 5 ghz and 5 ghz suggest with name of 5g-2. Am I dont understand something or its bag? I have this problem (?) from launch of this model. (make already factory hard reset + factory gui reset on latest firmware with no luck)?

So its bug or I dont get something?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!