What's new

Guest network: DHCP not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

red_nano

New Around Here
I've set up a DHCP server on my internal network, and deactivated it on the router, and this seems to be the reason why my guests are not able to connect to the guest networks and get stuck "getting IP". Is there any way to solve this? Can I set DHCP just for the guest networks?

No one? This is really weird: Am I the only one using a custom DNS other than the one integrated in the firmware?

I've set up a DHCP server on my internal network, and deactivated it on the router, and this seems to be the reason why my guests are not able to connect to the guest networks and get stuck "getting IP". Is there any way to solve this? Can I set DHCP just for the guest networks?
did you disable intranet access?

DHCP broadcast is being blocked at router level, thus guest is not able to get ip from server setup. Since guest can't access internal LAN, they have no way of reaching dhcp server either, fastest method would be to allow access intranet, but that would defeat purpose of guest network.

Also why you setting up your own dhcp server in first place?

Last edited:
DHCP broadcast is being blocked at router level, thus guest is not able to get ip from server setup. Since guest can't access internal LAN, they have no way of reaching dhcp server either, fastest method would be to allow access intranet, but that would defeat purpose of guest network.

Also why you setting up your own dhcp server in first place?

Pi-Hole recommends to use the same system as DHCP and so far, it's been working for me pretty nice. The only way I have is to enable access intranet but as you said, that defeats the purpose of the guest network.
I thought maybe there would be a workaround or a way to let the router provide DHCP and DNS only for the guest network somehow.