What's new

Guest network forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrainDedd

New Around Here
Hi all.

I swapped over from a Tomato router to the RT-AX88U and installed Merlin on it. Is there any way to keep the guest network isolated but allow access to a single IP:port from the internal network? I'd love to write an IPTables / EBTables rule to forward DNS to my PIHole but don't know the first thing about the config on this build.

Many thanks.

As I mentioned over on the LinksysInfo.org website, it was my understanding (and experience) that Merlin uses the same subnet for the guest network as the primary network, thus making this somewhat problematic. But based on the following thread, it appears a bit more complicated as to when and if it uses the same or different subnet.

But then I ran across the following thread. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but perhaps the better approach is to make it *appear* to any given client that the target is on the internet, thus available over the WAN, but route that traffic back into the local network, and thus circumvent the local<->local restriction.

I'd love to write an IPTables / EBTables rule to forward DNS to my PIHole but don't know the first thing about the config on this build.
Like Jack Yaz indicated, use his YazFi script. I use several Pi-Holes and have them plugged into the DNS fields in the YazFi script so my guest WiFi devices can use them. Works great.