What's new

Guest Network Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zim

Occasional Visitor
Need some help with the Guest Network on 2.4 GHz on AX11000 running 386.7_2 firmware.

Read a lot about people setting up Guest Network for IoT devices, so I decided to experiment with it. Also having read about various issues people have had, I decided to start clean - factory reset the router, removed all mesh nodes and manually input settings (mostly everything is default).

Connecting to 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1, 5 GHz-2, everything appears to work.

When I enable Guest Network on 2.4 GHz (have tried all three - Guest Network Index 1/2/3) I completely lose Wi-Fi connectivity on the 2.4 GHz band. Have tried toggling Access Intranet, but it makes no difference - no connectivity on 2.4 GHz band.

When I enable Guest Network on 5 GHz (have tried all three - Guest Network Index 1/2/3) Wi-Fi on 5 GHz Guest Network on 5 GHz both work. The issue only occurs on the 2.4 GHz.

Also, can someone please explain the difference between Guest Network Index 1/2/3? And with the Guest Network, is my understanding correct that any device connected to the Guest Network is also not routed through any scripts running on the router - Diversion, Skynet, Unbound?

Thanks in advance.

Need some help with the Guest Network on 2.4 GHz on AX11000 running 386.7_2 firmware.

Read a lot about people setting up Guest Network for IoT devices, so I decided to experiment with it. Also having read about various issues people have had, I decided to start clean - factory reset the router, removed all mesh nodes and manually input settings (mostly everything is default).

Connecting to 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1, 5 GHz-2, everything appears to work.

When I enable Guest Network on 2.4 GHz (have tried all three - Guest Network Index 1/2/3) I completely lose Wi-Fi connectivity on the 2.4 GHz band. Have tried toggling Access Intranet, but it makes no difference - no connectivity on 2.4 GHz band.

When I enable Guest Network on 5 GHz (have tried all three - Guest Network Index 1/2/3) Wi-Fi on 5 GHz Guest Network on 5 GHz both work. The issue only occurs on the 2.4 GHz.

Also, can someone please explain the difference between Guest Network Index 1/2/3? And with the Guest Network, is my understanding correct that any device connected to the Guest Network is also not routed through any scripts running on the router - Diversion, Skynet, Unbound?

Thanks in advance.
Just connected via my guest network, ad blocking (Diversion) appears to be working as normal.

Also, can someone please explain the difference between Guest Network Index 1/2/3?

Guest1 WLANs are designed to propagate to all AiMesh nodes. Clients are assigned non-reserveable IPs 101.x/102.x/103.x (VLANs 501/502/503). That's all I know about them.

Guest2,3 WLANs only broadcast from the router/root node.

Guest3 WLANs may have something to do with using the Alexa skills.

You can use any of them, subject to these behaviors. Guest1 WLANs are tailored for AiMesh to broadcast from all nodes. This may make them troublesome for use that may conflict with how they are implemented internally.

OE

Not sure about the AX11000 but on other Asus routers the general suggestion is to avoid using Guest Network #1 since it's been indicated that Asus also uses Guest #1 for AiMesh nodes.

On a side note, a number of us with IoT devices have moved to using YazFi which offers more configuration options and control over the Guest networks.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...-merlin-guest-wifi-inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/
https://github.com/jackyaz/YazFi
Thanks @bennor I have quite a few IoT devices spread out so I want (eventually) the Mesh nodes to also broadcast Guest Network. YazFi, from what I understand, does not support Guest on Mesh.

Just connected via my guest network, ad blocking (Diversion) appears to be working as normal.
Thanks @Treadler So I guess there is no way to create a separate network that would bypass all the scripts? I just don't want any scripts to add any latency to IoT or security cam devices.

Guest1 WLANs are designed to propagate to all AiMesh nodes. Clients are assigned non-reserveable IPs 101.x/102.x/103.x (VLANs 501/502/503). That's all I know about them.

Guest2,3 WLANs only broadcast from the router/root node.

Guest3 WLANs may have something to do with using the Alexa skills.

You can use any of them, subject to these behaviors. Guest1 WLANs are tailored for AiMesh to broadcast from all nodes. This may make them troublesome for use that may conflict with how they are implemented internally.

OE
Thanks @OzarkEdge Guest2,3 are a no go for me then as I have a quite a few IoT devices spread out where the router signal does not reach. I would like the Guest Network to be broadcast from the Mesh nodes as well.