What's new

Guest network isolation issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SouthNorthguy

New Around Here
Hello

Long-time lurker and new member. I hope I am doing this correctly.

I read numerous threads before posting but am unable to solve my problem.
Just recently (this was working fine ...) I stopped being able to "see" my devices on my guest Wifi network. For example, I have a Raspberry Pi connected via Wifi, and I used to be able to SSH to connect to it. I can't do that anymore. I have a few more examples of the same situation. The guest network mainly hosts IOT stuff like my weather station, the RasPi, temperature sensors, etc.

Setup details:

Router: RT-AX58U on stock firmware
Current firmware: 3.0.0.4.388_23925
Firmware auto-update: Enabled
Wifi Networks: Main + one guest
AIMesh : One AP (An Asus RT-AX55) with ethernet backhaul and "Guest network on AiMesh" set to "Router only" I also disconnected the Mesh AP at one point to see if it was the issue.
Wifi settings:

I know this works fine on the "main" Wifi network since I have a Chromecast (WiFi), a NAS (Wired) and a few other devices and I can connect to them just fine.
I of course rebooted the routers, the switch I have, etc.

Any input appreciated

Last edited:
Make sure "Access Intranet" on the guest network is enabled. If it still doesn't work try using guest network #2 instead of #1.

Make sure "Access Intranet" on the guest network is enabled. If it still doesn't work try using guest network #2 instead of #1.

Hello.
Would this not allow all the IOT devices to "see" what is on the "main" network where I have my NAS, laptops. etc? I need to have those unable to see each other for security reasons.

Would this not allow all the IOT devices to "see" what is on the "main" network where I have my NAS, laptops. etc?
Yes. It sounded like that was your intention, particularly because your said your node was set to "Router only".

I need to have those unable to see each other for security reasons.
I believe there's a bug/feature whereby disabling a guest network's intranet access also enables AP isolation for that guest network. This has been commented on quite a few times.

Yes. It sounded like that was your intention, particularly because your said your node was set to "Router only".

I believe there's a bug/feature whereby disabling a guest network's intranet access also enables AP isolation for that guest network. This has been commented on quite a few times.

It definitely enables AP isolation, at least on every firmware I've run on my router. Only way to override is with a script, or Yazfi.

No idea why it was working for OP before. A bug, or possibly previously used Yazfi and isolation never got re-enabled until now, etc.

It definitely enables AP isolation, at least on every firmware I've run on my router. Only way to override is with a script, or Yazfi.

No idea why it was working for OP before. A bug, or possibly previously used Yazfi and isolation never got re-enabled until now, etc.

My main router does not support Merlin, unfortunately. What is the script you suggest, please?

My main router does not support Merlin, unfortunately. What is the script you suggest, please?
Your main router is the AX58U, from the first post? Then it does support RMerlin.
Unless it’s v2. (4 core) vs original 3 core.

If it doesn't support merlin you can't use a script but you can go into the CLI and change the NVRAM variable and reboot, or just run the WL command to shut it off.

My router is totally different architecture than yours so I don't know the specific commands or variables, they may be the same, may not be.

Does disabling Intranet blocks internet altogether?
No matter if I use Guest Network 1-3, if Intranet Access is disabled, there is no internet at all. As soon as I enable it, then internet comes back.

Is that the intended behavior for Intranet Access option?