What's new

guest network questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Natty

Regular Contributor
Did the guest network 1 bug get fixed in the 386 lineage (RT-AC66U-B1) or does it remain inadvisable to use guest 1?

Are guest network index 1, guest network index 2 and guest network index 3 isolated from each other when Access Intranet is set to disable? Do these get subnetted to 192.168.101.xxx, 192.168.102.xxx, 192.168.103.xxx?

Looking at the changelog, I see "guest network 1" listed three times for fixes relating to dnsfilter, NTP and OpenVPN. So I can see why there was advice given on several threads to avoid using it.

Can guest 1 be considered the same as guest 2 and guest 3 now, or is it different in some way, or does it remain forever tainted by its previous misbehaviour? Like that room in the cellar that guests should not enter?

Inadvisable for what reason?

GN1 has the capability to broadcast its SSID to other AiMesh nodes. GN2 and GN3 can't.

GN1 also uses a different subnet than the main WiFi.

Inadvisable for what reason?
Clients unable to connect to internet, and an "unfixed bug" from what I read on this forum when searching for info on guest network. But I have closed those pages so I'm afraid I can't quote them here. The changelog does suggest there were issues with GN1.

Do GN2 & GN3 use different subnets to GN1? It seems like they do, but they just use the main LAN subnet. Should they ? I moved 5GHz guest network for DTV from GN1 to GN3. From the system log, it looks like DTV has moved from 192.168.101.xxx (on GN1) and ended up in the same IP range as the main LAN DHCP even though Access Intranet on GN3 is set to Disable. A bug?

When changing the 5GHz guest network from GN1 to GN3, this weird entry for the DTV was recorded in the system log:
Code:
Jan 16 21:12:35 dnsmasq-dhcp[743]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.102.218 d4:xx:xx:xx:xx:78
Jan 16 21:12:35 dnsmasq-dhcp[743]: DHCPNAK(br0) 192.168.102.218 d4:xx:xx:xx:xx:78 wrong network
Jan 16 21:12:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[743]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) d4:xx:xx:xx:xx:78
Jan 16 21:12:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[743]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.210 d4:xx:xx:xx:xx:78
Jan 16 21:12:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[743]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.210 d4:xx:xx:xx:xx:78
Jan 16 21:12:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[743]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.210 d4:xx:xx:xx:xx:78 LGwebOSTV

Weird because DTV changed from GN1 to GN3 via subnet 198.168.102 that doesn't seem to be used on the network.

What's the deal with GN1, GN2, GN3, their respective IP address ranges, and Intranet isolation?

Do GN2 & GN3 use different subnets to GN1? It seems like they do, but they just use the main LAN subnet. Should they ?
GN2 and GN3 do not use different subnets, they use the same subnet as the main LAN. GN1/2.4GHz and GN1/5GHz have their own subnets.

Clients unable to connect to internet, and an "unfixed bug" from what I read on this forum when searching for info on guest network.
You appear to be talking about the "Access Intranet" issue for Guest Networks where people are having to enable it to gain internet access for Guest Network clients. Lots of thread discussion on it. Asus is aware of it and at least for the RT-AX86U Pro released a possible fix for it in early January. Hopefully that fix will be pushed out to the GPL Merlin uses along with other routers using stock Asus firmware. Some possible workarounds for that specific issue are either roll back to a previous firmware that didn't have that problem. Or, if not using AiMesh, use YazFi.

PS: If you want to have the Guest WiFi clients use a different IP address subnet then take a look at YazFi. Otherwise like Colin indicated typically the Guest Network #1 (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) uses 192.168.101.x and 192.168.102.x while Guest Network #2 and #3 will pull IP addresses from the main LAN IP address pool.

It has been suggested that if one is having Guest Network #1 issues to move clients to Guest Network #2 and #3, particularly if using YazFi. Its due to how the firmware treats Guest Network #1 slightly differently (AiMesh) than #2 and #3.

Last edited:
Thanks for answers explanations and suggestions.
Guest Network #2 and #3 will pull IP addresses from the main LAN IP address pool.
This is what I observed when testing, but does it mean the devices on GN2 & 3 can access other devices on the LAN? In other words, Intranet Access: Disable setting not respected on GN2 & 3?

No it doesn't mean that.
Thanks.

Is there any way to make GN2 and GN3 available wirelessly from a second AP, for example, AiMesh? or YazFi? My understanding is that APs have no guest network capabilities, while AiMesh extends only GN1 from primary router to nodes.

To consider for future upgrade, are there any Asus wireless routers supported by Asuswrt Merlin that have the capability to have multiple Wi-Fi guest networks available through both primary router AND nodes, and how would you do this, e.g. using Guest network pro or VLAN or something else? If not, are there any consumer routers from other manufacturers that can do this?

Is there any way to make GN2 and GN3 available wirelessly from a second AP, for example, AiMesh? or YazFi?
No. However, I think the new VLAN support in the Pro routers stock firmware might be able to do that across AiMesh. But I don't know for sure because I've not looked into it.