What's new

Guest network with an off-router DHCP/DNS server not working (384.13)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetSetGo

Occasional Visitor
I am running Pi-hole in DHCP mode, and consequently DHCP is disabled on the router.
DNS entries on the LAN page are left blank with appending of the router IP set to 'no'.
DNS entries on the WAN page are set with the Pi-hole's local IP as the primary DNS and CloudFlare as the secondary fall-back DNS, overriding the values provided by the ISP.

I have also a guest Wi-Fi network with disabled access to the local network.
Up until 384.12 this setup worked with the client connecting to the guest network getting an IP address served by Pi-Hole.

After an update to 384.13, the client on the guest network started getting some random IP address while trying to connect and does not get any internet access. Enabling access to the local network solves this (the client gets both a proper IP and DNS entries), but defeats the purpose of the guest network.

In a way this is a correct behaviour, as the DHCP/DNS server is on the local network. I am just wondering if 384.13 made some changes enforcing this and if I am right in surmising that running an off-router DHCP/DNS server would not work with guest networks?

I have also a guest Wi-Fi network with disabled access to the local network.
So your guest WiFi clients are denied access to the local network. And your DHCP and DNS servers (PiHole) are on the local network. Why would this ever work (rhetorical question)?

You'll need to use some sort of script that allows pinhole connections from the guest network to the PiHole. I believe YazFi can do this.

So your guest WiFi clients are denied access to the local network. And your DHCP and DNS servers (PiHole) are on the local network. Why would this ever work (rhetorical question)?
:) I too wondered why that worked before I updated to 384.13 Maybe some kind of misconfiguration that allowed the traffic from a guest network to seep through...

Thank you for pointing to YazFi - it looks like what I need. One question though: would it allow to have the DHCP server on Pi-Hole or does it have to be enabled on the router?

One question though: would it allow to have the DHCP server on Pi-Hole or does it have to be enabled on the router?
I don't know, I don't use it. That's probably a question best to be asked in the dedicated YazFi thread.

:) I too wondered why that worked before I updated to 384.13 Maybe some kind of misconfiguration that allowed the traffic from a guest network to seep through...

Thank you for pointing to YazFi - it looks like what I need. One question though: would it allow to have the DHCP server on Pi-Hole or does it have to be enabled on the router?
My question would be, why do you want DHCP on the PiHole?

For the ease of management - to see the host names instead of IP addresses in the logs and on the dashboard.
https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how...instead-of-ip-addresses-in-the-dashboard/3530
Option #2 there is inconvenient for the dynamically assigned IP addresses.
EDIT: Reading down that thread, it looks like "Conditional Forwarding" on Pi-Hole DNS settings page is the answer, combined with explicitly setting Pi-Hole's IP address in the DNS on the router's DHCP LAN page.

Last edited: