What's new

Guest SSID on AP without inranet

• Thread starter Deleted member 22630
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 22630

I have two AC66Us, one running as my main router, the second as an AP. On my main router, I can add a guest SSID and specify no intranet access, but on my AP, that option is unavailable. I've seen the question asked on this forum, but I've not been able to find an answer which works. Can someone point me in the direction of a script which will achieve this?

My guest SSID is appearing as interface wl0.2. I want guests to be able to use WPA2 security and access DHCP and DNS on my main router, and have full Internet access.

I have two AC66Us, one running as my main router, the second as an AP. On my main router, I can add a guest SSID and specify no intranet access, but on my AP, that option is unavailable. I've seen the question asked on this forum, but I've not been able to find an answer which works. Can someone point me in the direction of a script which will achieve this?

My guest SSID is appearing as interface wl0.2. I want guests to be able to use WPA2 security and access DHCP and DNS on my main router, and have full Internet access.

It is unavailable because the router handles the isolation between regular and guest networks. To the router all the devices look All running the guest network on the AP will accomplish is giving it a different SSID and password from your primary SSID. You can turn the guest off when not needed and change its password as often as you like. Changing the guest password regularly keeps unwanted former guests from reconnecting without you giving them the current password. Changing you primary password is a pain since you have to update all your own connected devices.

For an isolated guest network you need to run it on your primary router or instead of setting up your second router as an AP double NAT it front of your first router.

It is unavailable because the router handles the isolation between regular and guest networks. To the router all the devices look All running the guest network on the AP will accomplish is giving it a different SSID and password from your primary SSID. You can turn the guest off when not needed and change its password as often as you like. Changing the guest password regularly keeps unwanted former guests from reconnecting without you giving them the current password. Changing you primary password is a pain since you have to update all your own connected devices.

For an isolated guest network you need to run it on your primary router or instead of setting up your second router as an AP double NAT it front of your first router.

Well, as far as I can see from suggested solutions, it *is* available via scripting by using VLANs and associating the wireless guest interface (in my case wl0.2) with a separate VLAN. For example, this script, but it doesn't include the setup of the bridge br1.

Well, as far as I can see from suggested solutions, it *is* available via scripting by using VLANs and associating the wireless guest interface (in my case wl0.2) with a separate VLAN.
Have at it. Why don't you just run the guest network on your router and keep it simple?

Have at it. Why don't you just run the guest network on your router and keep it simple?
I don't understand people like you, unable to answer a question and therefore feeling the need to disregard requirements so the only answer you *are* able to provide will work.

My AP is on another floor of the building, separated from the router by steel and concrete, where my guests typically are. That's why I have an AP, because the router's wifi doesn't reach.

So what's your solution now... Move to wooden bungalow? Don't have guests over? If you can't provide constructive advice, just back away from the keyboard and resist the temptation to clutter up threads with your incompetence.