What's new

Guest wifi on WEP , instead of WPA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

hi

i have some foscam cameras, the issue with those wifi cams, if that the reouter reboots, they dont intitiate a new wifi associaation, so on every reboot of router i need to unplug/replug the foscam cameras

yeah, its a pain

but , seems this is an issue with WPA, on foscam forums, i read if the security is changed to WEP instead of WPA, this can be resolved

so was thinking to setup guest wifi, with also access to my LAN, so actually 2 wifi networks, one for my clients, the other one only for my laptops
but seems when the default wifi is set to WPA? i cant setup the guest wifi to WEP ?

any other ideas how i can solve this?
maybe setup the guest wifi to OPEN channel, hide the SSID, and MAC filter ON? not sure if i want to go this road :)

hmm, i just realized, that WEP is not there anymore at all ? no way to unhide it?
i thought about WEP in combination with MAC Filter ?
but i dont see it

ok, found WEP, seems available on legacy mode
but is it possible to only enable legacy mode on Guest wifi?

Not possible, guests share the same radio as the primary interface.

hi

i have some foscam cameras, the issue with those wifi cams, if that the reouter reboots, they dont intitiate a new wifi associaation, so on every reboot of router i need to unplug/replug the foscam cameras

yeah, its a pain

but , seems this is an issue with WPA, on foscam forums, i read if the security is changed to WEP instead of WPA, this can be resolved

so was thinking to setup guest wifi, with also access to my LAN, so actually 2 wifi networks, one for my clients, the other one only for my laptops
but seems when the default wifi is set to WPA? i cant setup the guest wifi to WEP ?

any other ideas how i can solve this?
maybe setup the guest wifi to OPEN channel, hide the SSID, and MAC filter ON? not sure if i want to go this road :)

The real solution here is to either get a cheap router that is behind your main router and put the cameras on it using this insecure and outdated technology.

The better option is to get rid of these cameras period and replace them with something a little more current or at least more secure (WPA2).

Opening up your router to easy attack mode for the sake of connecting security cameras is kind of ironic, no?

The real solution here is to either get a cheap router that is behind your main router and put the cameras on it using this insecure and outdated technology.

Safer to buy a second router with gig ports and put your primary in the double NAT setup with access from the WAN blocked. With WEP security on the WiFi is ismuch easier for someone to hack the WiFi and you don't want them getting access to your more secure network.

Also to the OP MAC filter is better than nothing but it is trivial to spoof the MAC of one of your cameras and get access to that network.

Safer to buy a second router with gig ports and put your primary in the double NAT setup with access from the WAN blocked. With WEP security on the WiFi is ismuch easier for someone to hack the WiFi and you don't want them getting access to your more secure network.

Also to the OP MAC filter is better than nothing but it is trivial to spoof the MAC of one of your cameras and get access to that network.

You can keep your private network *single* NAT'd if you place the guest router *behind* the primary router (WAN to LAN, respectively) and use firewall rules on that guest router to prevent access to resources on the upstream router's network. Of course, this assumes your guest router is using dd-wrt, tomato, or similar third party firmware so you can add the necessary firewall rules. Doesn't have to be a fancy router, just accessible. This also allows you to *easily* limit bandwidth to the guest network by controlling the down and up links of QoS. And when you don't need the guest router, you can simply unplug it (ethernet or AC adapter).

Last edited:
Ok, thnx for all the answers... For testing only, I enabled now WEP on the guest wifi...
After rebooting or power interrupt, now my foscams can come back online...

Gonna buy now a seperate device for my foscams, now that I know wep resolved it... Or another road is to just buy smart powerplugs ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!