What's new

Hard wired AP do you keep same channel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marley1

New Around Here
For the last few years on jobs I've done in big houses when I add extra AP hardwired back to the main, I keep the same SSID, Security and Channel with no problems.

Someone mentioned to me to use different channels.

I thought you keep everything the same so you have one big wireless and can walk around and roam

You should set each AP to a different channel (1, 6, 11) so that they don't interfere with each other.

Most wireless clients are set to be very "sticky" and don't switch to another AP until they actually lose signal. So I usually recommend using different SSIDs, so that the user can select the one with the best signal. But that's just me.

For the last few years on jobs I've done in big houses when I add extra AP hardwired back to the main, I keep the same SSID, Security and Channel with no problems.

Someone mentioned to me to use different channels.

I thought you keep everything the same so you have one big wireless and can walk around and roam

I set it to auto channel. To me if you leave alone and it hasn't given you issues than keep the current settings. If you have issues then change the channels manually.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!