What's new

Hardware acceleration for AX86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think it depends on how VZ provisions the ONT. For Internet it can be ethernet/RJ45 or Coax. Not both.
For TV, it's coax going to their STB. TV is never carried over RJ45

For both TV and Internet it's one of these:
If Router is going to be coax connected to ONT, a splitter is used - one output to Router the other to STB. VZ provisions Internet to coax connector (ONTs RJ45 is disabled)

. If Router is RJ45 connected, ONT RJ45 to Router and Coax to STB. VZ provisions Internet to RJ45

From what I have read, if TV/Coax, it is on a completely different subnet/network from Internet.

Long story short, I don't think you have setup a loop. Believe me, if you did you would know - your devices connected to the Internet would slow down dramatically. The network is being flooded with redundant packets. This is where Spanning Tree attempts to turn off ports on the network devices (other switches typically) that are the source of the loop.
Also, for Spanning Tree to work you need it enabled on all switches and routers.

You can enable it on the Asus router - but unless you have other routers and switches on your network (with Spanning Tree enabled) it really has nothing to do.
Ok great! I have the Motorola moca adapter — I don’t Think I can enable it on their. No GUI I believe.

Unless they've changed something, the ONT doesn't do routing. I've had FiOS for the past 11 years and the ONT is just a "dumb" device that translates fiber signal to coax and/or Ethernet. Frontier Internet (which licenses FiOS in some areas) will try desperately to convince you that you need their router for it to work, but that's false. They're just lying so the FCC will allow them to force you to rent their unnecessary router for an extra $10 a month. The Ethernet from the ONT can go straight into your Asus. That's been my setup for over a decade.

Code:
Fiber in --------> [ ONT ] ----------> [Asus]

If you have FiOS TV things are different. Last I knew you had to run coax from the ONT to their router, which you could then run in bridge mode to connect your Asus router.

Code:
Fiber in ----------> [ ONT ] ----------> [ ISP router] \----------> [Asus]
                                                        \
                                                         \---------> [CATV]
Any tips and or tricks for a fellow Fios member? Like anything at all? I’ve got the Motorola ONT. black box

Any tips and or tricks for a fellow Fios member? Like anything at all? I’ve got the Motorola ONT. black box
There's nothing you can do with the ONT. That's Verizon's equipment and nothing for you to configure. Do you have FiOS TV in addition to Internet?

There's nothing you can do with the ONT. That's Verizon's equipment and nothing for you to configure. Do you have FiOS TV in addition to Internet?
I do. Fios TV One. The moca adapter gives it access to on demand and the internet portions

In that case I would just ditch the MoCA and have the coax from the Verizon router to the TV(s) and bridge mode to the Asus. I would let the Asus handle all of the Internet - for the TV(s) as well.

In that case I would just ditch the MoCA and have the coax from the Verizon router to the TV(s) and bridge mode to the Asus. I would let the Asus handle all of the Internet - for the TV(s) as well.
The coax can’t go directly into the Tv. It goes into the STB. I don’t need to bridge the asus if it’s the only router

My network layout. Apologies for the late reply. Darker lines are cable lines and thin line is ethernet

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 2.00.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 2.00.44 PM.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
My network layout. Apologies for the late reply. Darker lines are cable lines and thin line is ethernet
Clearly, you have no idea how to set up or manage a secure home network. My guess is that a Verizon rep sold you a bill of goods when they sold you the MOCA units.

Your system should be: ONT--Asus Router--MOCA--MOCA--Ethernet. Other Ethernet off of the router.
My read is that if you connect the MOCA to the ONT then connect an Ethernet device you will by-pass the firewall. which is not a good idea.
We will allow you to ask stupid questions in this forum. But be prepared to not get an answer.

Clearly, you have no idea how to set up or manage a secure home network. My guess is that a Verizon rep sold you a bill of goods when they sold you the MOCA units.

Your system should be: ONT--Asus Router--MOCA--MOCA--Ethernet. Other Ethernet off of the router.
My read is that if you connect the MOCA to the ONT then connect an Ethernet device you will by-pass the firewall. which is not a good idea.
We will allow you to ask stupid questions in this forum. But be prepared to not get an answer.
I literally did what this guy did excluding the Verizon router.

I have a TV phone and internet bundle

Fios TVone. I need the cable to come from the ont then into the moca adapter. How else is the signal going to translate. Also, is their any potential loop issues you see?

That diagram doesn't make sense. Your network cannot possibly function like shown.

Why? The ont literally provides RJ45 aka internet, cable for moca signal aka TV and phone jacks in
I don't even know where to start.

What's the deal with the MOCA connected to the ONT and the Asus and nothing else? What's its purpose? It just looks like a loop.

The diagram suggests there is just one run of coax and a ton of splitters. Is that how your network is wired?

What's the deal with the MOCA connected to the ONT and the Asus and nothing else? What's its purpose? It just looks like a loop.

The diagram suggests there is just one run of coax and a ton of splitters. Is that how your network is wired?
The first moca is what supplies internet to the stb. Such as guide on demand apps etc. I can draw a better diagram but watch the video. It’s literally the same thing besides the 3 way splitter he uses - I only use a 2 way.

the other moca is just Bc I wanted my Roku ultra hardwired.

my entire house is hardwired w cable so I used the existing cabling to take advantage of that. Make sense ?

The video does help, what’s unclear to me is if there is a filter on the coax line going back to the ONT, or else your lan could be exposed.

The coax line going to the TV boxes from the ONT provides the broadcast channels only and no internet service. To provide on demand services via the internet the Verizon boxes use networking via the moca connection. This is very convoluted.

The video does help, what’s unclear to me is if there is a filter on the coax line going back to the ONT, or else your lan could be exposed.

The coax line going to the TV boxes from the ONT provides the broadcast channels only and no internet service. To provide on demand services via the internet the Verizon boxes use networking via the moca connection. This is very convoluted.

OK i can take out the POE filter. I wasnt sure where it should be. so THANK you,

Here is a better outline

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 5.42.04 PM.png

OK i can take out the POE filter. I wasnt sure where it should be. so THANK you,

Here is a better outline

View attachment 35874
I'm still not understanding what's going on with:

1. The STBs. Are they WiFi enabled and connected to your WiFi? If not, how do they get on demand services, and why the MOCA connected to the Asus.

2. The Roku and associated MOCA. What's the deal with the Roku connected to the MOCA? Is there some reason not to connect it to the WiFi?

1. The STBs. Are they WiFi enabled and connected to your WiFi? If not, how do they get on demand services, and why the MOCA connected to the Asus.

2. The Roku and associated MOCA. What's the deal with the Roku connected to the MOCA? Is there some reason not to connect it to the WiFi?

No they are all hard wired through cable (Fios TV one) they could be wifi but apparently the main box needs to be hardwired and i already had the existing cable worries in my house plus it’s faster.

the only reason I can get on demand is Bc I’m connect to the asus. That’s where it comes from , not the ont.

Cable wire is just for broadcast signal for the channel.

I wanted my Roku ultra hardwired bc it will be faster streaming.

I just took out the Poe filter… where was it supposed to go again? Or if I even need it? Verizon had one there already I think