What's new

Hardware going bad?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jonc123

New Around Here
I have an aimesh setup at the house that is starting to act a little weird. I have 2 AC86u and a 3100. One of the 86u lost the wan port about 6 months ago, so it connects over wifi. The 3100 is over Ethernet into the aimesh. Starting last week, we saw regular drops,. I was not able to connect to my work VPN over wireless, only when hardwired, but connecting through my phone hotspot was fine. Today it was fine for a few hours, then started dropping. Again, Ethernet works fine. I put the latest Asus firmware, and was going to try Merlin on them again, but wondering if this feels more like hardware failing? They have been running for a couple of years, and always needed a weekly reset or they would have wifi issues. Wasn’t planning on replacing, so I’m hoping someone has another, cheaper opinion.

I have an aimesh setup at the house that is starting to act a little weird. I have 2 AC86u and a 3100. One of the 86u lost the wan port about 6 months ago, so it connects over wifi. The 3100 is over Ethernet into the aimesh. Starting last week, we saw regular drops,. I was not able to connect to my work VPN over wireless, only when hardwired, but connecting through my phone hotspot was fine. Today it was fine for a few hours, then started dropping. Again, Ethernet works fine. I put the latest Asus firmware, and was going to try Merlin on them again, but wondering if this feels more like hardware failing? They have been running for a couple of years, and always needed a weekly reset or they would have wifi issues. Wasn’t planning on replacing, so I’m hoping someone has another, cheaper opinion.

Weekly reset or reboot? Have you ever reset the firmwares?

I would try to establish a stable router that doesn't misbehave; then build out from there.

Changing firmware is not going to fix it, imo.

OE

Weekly reset or reboot? Have you ever reset the firmwares?

I would try to establish a stable router that doesn't misbehave; then build out from there.

Changing firmware is not going to fix it, imo.

OE
Weekly reboot. I update firmware about 2-4 weeks after they release it typically. The most stable router Is the 3100 now which I thought about switching to the main, but I would then have two questionable nodes i guess

I
Weekly reboot. I update firmware about 2-4 weeks after they release it typically. The most stable router Is the 3100 now which I thought about switching to the main, but I would then have two questionable nodes i guess
Again, have you ever reset the firmware?

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore (my preference)
WPS Button Hard Reset

OE
Yes, I did a full firmware reset last night and again tonight. I did just pick up another one and after swapping the main with the new one, things are back to normal. I tried to connect the old one over a wired connection and it was having issues on the WAN port. The last one went when the neighbors pole was struck by lightning. I lost only the WAN port, a switch that was first in line, and Ethernet on my motherboard that was connected to that switch. I thought my entire machine was done, but it rebooted, just no onboard ethernet and the wifi and ethernet ports are fine on that router. I am wondering if it happened again when i wasn’t home. Going to go run the ethernet through my surge protector now.

I

Yes, I did a full firmware reset last night and again tonight. I did just pick up another one and after swapping the main with the new one, things are back to normal. I tried to connect the old one over a wired connection and it was having issues on the WAN port. The last one went when the neighbors pole was struck by lightning. I lost only the WAN port, a switch that was first in line, and Ethernet on my motherboard that was connected to that switch. I thought my entire machine was done, but it rebooted, just no onboard ethernet and the wifi and ethernet ports are fine on that router. I am wondering if it happened again when i wasn’t home. Going to go run the ethernet through my surge protector now.
If the Internet service to your home comes in on coaxial cable replace the ground block in the demarc with a surge protector.

If the Internet service to your home comes in on coaxial cable replace the ground block in the demarc with a surge protector.

Can you link to an example of the product you have in mind?

I currently use the coax protection built-in to an APC UPS inside the house.

OE

Thanks!

I'm not sure it would be wise to remove the coax Earth grounding provided by the ground block at the demarc, as you suggested for installing one of these inline suppressors.

OE
The model I bought was a combination ground block surge protector. The one I sent you a link to is just a surge protector so you are right the best installation would be to thread it onto the the existing ground block.