What's new

Has Asus abandoned asuscomm.com DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sky

Regular Contributor
Over the last year or more I have noticed asuscomm.com is increasingly down and not functioning. This has happened so often and so long that is has passed any imagined "tipping point" and has now become the rule, rather than the exception. On any given day at any given time it has become exceedingly rare to find the Asus DDNS service working. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is Asus abandoning this service and just letting it die on the vine through lack of attention or maintenance. An announcement of some kind would at least give clarity.

Sky

Working perfectly for me and my customers.

Working good for my needs.

Working great for me, never had any issues with it to be honest.

Just a guess, but perhaps it works well provided you're not updating all that often. I know some ISPs who force changes regularly, while others rarely change. And the former may be more sensitive to periods of unavailability (if that is indeed the case).

Regardless, if you're unsatisfied, try afraid.org instead. Been using them for years, no issues. It's free. And they don't pester you endlessly to confirm you're still using your chosen DDNS hostname. Might happen once or twice a year at most.

For a "free" service, it suits my needs and works within acceptable parameters for the cost. For most home consumers it is likely working well.

For my important systems, I pay for a service where I expect reliability (and have been completely satisfied).

I seriously just noticed that Asus free DDNS asuscomm is now compatible with ipv6 addresses lol

Did you change any settings to enable the reporting of IPv6 address?
No. Just enabled ipv6, and Asus’ ddns. Using merlin’s firmware though I’m sure it should be the same ddns with official firmware. I only noticed it’s publishing my ipv4 & ipv6 when I use Asus’ lookup http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php

I had an outage last week, and opted to switch over to the AFRAID DDNS service, searching through the forums it seems that the Asus DDNS is unstable compared to the other options

Everyone: Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner (like September 16!). There was an on-going emergency I had to attend to and it has just resolved—I hope.
eibgrad

Just a guess, but perhaps it works well provided you're not updating all that often. I know some ISPs who force changes regularly, while others rarely change. And the former may be more sensitive to periods of unavailability (if that is indeed the case).
It's only updating as often as the OEM FW called for it to, which I am thinking is dependent on whether or not it successfully confirms the DDNS name for another [x minus y] period of time.
taoaruScar[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

What exactly is the problem? Is it having difficulties updating the IP address, or resolving the domain name? (and) Did you change any settings to enable the reporting of IPv6 address?
The primary problem is no-access via the user-assigned *.asuscomm.com PQDN. It doesn't appear to be related to the requestor location. So maybe it's an ISP issue. The secondary problem is how it intercepts/interferes with AiCloud for upload/download transfers and straight access.

It does not appear to be having any issues with the IP address, which hasn't changed in > 12-mo. Resolving the domain name is often a problem.

I'm not seeing any settings in the OEM fw to en/disable IPv6 reporting for the WAN, only to use/not use IPv6 on the LAN. I have zero-use for IPv6 on my LAN.

Very similar to what I have been experiencing for some time, except it usually shows as asuscomm.com DOWN at isitdownorjust.me and whether or not it comes back up is a coin toss at best. To me this speaks of benign neglect at best and outright unannounced abandonment at worst.

Perhaps I'm sensitive to it because I was using Asus DDNS routinely, even multiple times daily but have now jumped ship. I still have my router hooked up to it as a fall-back but that's becoming embarrassing when I look at it.

it usually shows as asuscomm.com DOWN at isitdownorjust.me and whether or not it comes back up is a coin toss at best
I've never directly accessed asuscomm.com (without any subdomain), but I don't think there's a website there at port 80 or 433. If that's the case, that's probably why it's reported down every time a user on isitdownorjustme does a check on it.

Maybe I'm wrong here (I suspect someone will tell me ;)), but in order for the PQDN (partially qualified domain name, e.g., mydomain.asuscomm.com) to be in any way functional, the FQDN (fully qualified domain name, e.g., www.asuscomm.com) would have to at least have a landing page or some indication of a fixed IP. I don't think the lack of a landing page would create site-down errors. OTH, as of this writing is it down is showing asuscomm down, but I can get to the local PQDN for my site. That said, I am also on the same LAN as the router with the PQDN registration. Maybe setting up asuscomm.com without aby sort of landing page is a sort of security obfuscation that gives the impression the site is down when it is actually fully functional but only for PQDNs?

OK, I'm confused. Anyone?

EDIT
OK, answered my own question. A quick nslookup asuscomm.com from the command line returned an IP [54.191.180.149], but the IP does not respond to a ping. So the whole no-landing page thing must be intentional.

Last edited:
PQDN (partially qualified domain name, e.g., mydomain.asuscomm.com)
That's not a PQDN. This is a fully qualified one.

the FQDN (fully qualified domain name, e.g., www.asuscomm.com) would have to at least have a landing page or some indication of a fixed IP
I think you got 2 concepts mixed up.
What you were referring to is probably what happens when you get redirected to www.youtube.com when you browse youtube.com. In this case, the browser does a DNS lookup for youtube.com and gets the IP, then establishes a connection to the IP, and gets a 301 moved as a response, then the browser does the same thing with www.youtube.com and shows you YouTube. In this case, there's a website at youtube.com, with the sole purpose to tell browser to go to www.youtube.com instead.

But when accessing mydomain.asuscomm.com, the browser never bothers with www.asuscomm.com or asuscomm.com, or anything other than mydomain.asuscomm.com. It does a DNS lookup for mydomain.asuscomm.com and gets its IP, then establishes a connection to that IP and loads the webpage.

Last edited:
That's not a PQDN. This is a fully qualified one.
In this case I am using:
FQDN: WWW.myname.com​
PQDN: yourname.myname.com

which assumes asuscomm.com does not allow myname.asuscomm.com to exist on root. Certainly, yourname.myname.com can be an FQDN if it reaches up to the root, but my assumption is that only asuscomm.com can reach the root and myname.asuscomm.com would be off-root. IOW, I am assuming myname.asuscomm.com is a hostname only and not an absolute domain name.

See this Wikipedia entry for further clarification, and please do understand, this is just an assumption on my part as I can't really imagine an instance in which they would dare give the general public any sort of root access with which to play.