What's new

Have an AC-5300. Will an upgrade to the AX-82U result in much better performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dumbcluck

New Around Here
My house has 1,000 down 40 up cable, and for three years have had the AC-5300 in place. Have a few security cams (150 speed max) and a 10 year old Mac and one year old Mac. Seems I only get 50-80 down on the 2.4 band when my laptops are 20 feet away in another room from the 5300. Yet, direct ethernet out of the router is 950 down.

Read some positive reviews of the AX-82U. Is it worth changing to it, or running an ethernet cable to an access point? What exactly is better in the 82U compared to the 5300?

I called Asus tech support and they seem to indicate the settings in the 5300 are correct.

Thank you.

My house has 1,000 down 40 up cable, and for three years have had the AC-5300 in place. Have a few security cams (150 speed max) and a 10 year old Mac and one year old Mac. Seems I only get 50-80 down on the 2.4 band when my laptops are 20 feet away in another room from the 5300. Yet, direct ethernet out of the router is 950 down.

Read some positive reviews of the AX-82U. Is it worth changing to it, or running an ethernet cable to an access point? What exactly is better in the 82U compared to the 5300?

I called Asus tech support and they seem to indicate the settings in the 5300 are correct.

Thank you.

What does the AC5300 Wireless Log show for your wireless client connection details? The speed may be limited by a poor client connection.

OE

What firmware are you using on your RT-AC5300? Or, do you have the GT-AC5300 model?

Almost any upgrade to an AX class router will give you substantially better throughput (at least theoretically).

The 2.4GHz band you're using is providing what is expected. What is the speed when using the 5GHz band?

I cannot personally recommend the RT-AX82U. Are other models (see below) available in your area for a similar price?

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Seems I only get 50-80 down on the 2.4 band

Sounds about right. Your router can do ~90Mbps on 2.4GHz @20MHz wide channel and ~500Mbps on 5GHz @80MHz wide channel to common 2-stream AC client. Even if you upgrade your router to AX, the speeds will be limited by clients' capabilities. If you have only phones/tablets with AX support, or perhaps a laptop, better save your money and use your AC5300. With 2x 5GHz radios it can achieve better simultaneous throughput than single radio mid-range AX router. AX82U is the "gaming" version of AX58U with some SoC features unlocked in software and RGB lights. Look elsewhere.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!