What's new

have any body heard of this model. Asus RT-AC68A

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AC68A (Amazon) should be exactly as dedicated P version sold on Best Buy, specs should match RT-AC68U in general.

Talked with Asus. They have not shipped yet, but said they will ship to Amazon later this month...

Amazon still sells the RT-AC68U but as of the time of this post the price isn't discounted much considering what the RT-AC68A was listed at for pre-orders. The recent run of AC68P sales at BB seems to have ended too. The demand must be strong for these routers. Were they flushing out old inventory in anticipation of new inventory or new variations for these models? I guess we will have to wait until the end of April to see what happens with the pricing of the AC68 series of routers.

Were they flushing out old inventory in anticipation of new inventory or new variations for these models? I guess we will have to wait until the end of April to see what happens with the pricing of the AC68 series of routers.

Wonder is this was a market test to see what price level the market will bear for AC1900 class devices now that they're not the latest/greatest hot solution...

(but AC1900 is still the best bang for the buck, no matter what vendor/OEM)

Better get used to it. Everything will have to be compliant by June 2016, including already existing products that are still being actively marketed, not just new products.
To be honest it sucks but there is always the older firmware on older devices... as long as they don't go knocking on anyone's door... I've read that they've been known to do that in the past.

To be honest it sucks but there is always the older firmware on older devices... as long as they don't go knocking on anyone's door... I've read that they've been known to do that in the past.

Older firmware will no longer be an escape route in the near future. That's all I can say...

Older firmware will no longer be an escape route in the near future. That's all I can say...

Is it not true that Asus is already using compliant power levels right now ? What more can they do lower it even further after June of this year ? Gees pretty soon wireless routers will be useless.

Is it not true that Asus is already using compliant power levels right now ? What more can they do lower it even further after June of this year ? Gees pretty soon wireless routers will be useless.

No, not useless; compliant. ;)

What they can do has been stated. They will remove the ability to adjust power levels (via closed source code).

Lock them at hardware level, prevent users to use older FW versions, etc...

Lock them at hardware level, prevent users to use older FW versions, etc...
Geez and you'd think that the those of us who already bought and paid for our open source firmware based wireless routers with our hard earned money actually owned them... and had control over what went on them. I guess we were wrong. A govt. entity actually secretly controls our router, what firmware goes on it and decides what is best for us. Silly us. :confused:

Last edited:
Nothing is forcing you to upgrade to firmware to the 'locked' versions. ;)

Nothing is forcing you to upgrade to firmware to the 'locked' versions. ;)
I realize this is a big brother type of question so answer at your own discretion... When was it too late not to upgrade to the latest "locked" firmware version? For security, bug fixes and other reasons most responsible owners upgrade their firmware to the latest version... right?

AFAIK, the current output levels are already compliant, so I don't see why they would reduce that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!