What's new

have any body heard of this model. Asus RT-AC68A

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Might be a supply vs demand thing. Tim often posted about how new routers seem to have their price jacked up on places like Amazon for a while around their release time.

Amazon doesn't appear to be selling these directly anymore The current sellers are all third party and likely bought at the promotional price.

I don't know anything more than what's posted in this thread.
I think there might be one hardware difference, although insignificant. The unit I received (box label: h/w ver. C1; f/w ver. 3.0.0.4.380_1842, full featured firmware) doesn't seem to have a back LED for the logo. I tried pressing the LED on/off button a few times, but only the front LEDs turn on/off. It's impossible to tell if the module that holds the LEDs is present without opening it up, so it might be dead.
The clfreq is 1000. It reports having the latest f/w version when I hit update in the UI, so I cannot upgrade to the crippled f/w.
Curious if other AC68A's are also missing the back LED?

I think there might be one hardware difference, although insignificant. The unit I received (box label: h/w ver. C1; f/w ver. 3.0.0.4.380_1842, full featured firmware) doesn't seem to have a back LED for the logo. I tried pressing the LED on/off button a few times, but only the front LEDs turn on/off. It's impossible to tell if the module that holds the LEDs is present without opening it up, so it might be dead.
The clfreq is 1000. It reports having the latest f/w version when I hit update in the UI, so I cannot upgrade to the crippled f/w.
Curious if other AC68A's are also missing the back LED?

This change is part of the C1 hardware revision, and might not be specific to the RT-AC68A SKU. The LED button is now a toggle button instead of an on/off switch, and the back led was removed. Same change in my RT-AC68U rev C1.

This change is part of the C1 hardware revision, and might not be specific to the RT-AC68A SKU. The LED button is now a toggle button instead of an on/off switch, and the back led was removed. Same change in my RT-AC68U rev C1.
Oh I see. Yes indeed it's a toggle, ie doesn't have an on (pressed) position and off (unpressed) position.

Luckily, I received the unit with firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_1842. I am planning to install Merlin tonight. I am little confused with which version of Merilin's FW to install, AC68U or P version?

Luckily, I received the unit with firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_1842. I am planning to install Merlin tonight. I am little confused with which version of Merilin's FW to install, AC68U or P version?
There is only one version for all AC68 SKU's (U/R/W/P).
Latest stable: RT-AC68U_380.58_0

Oh I see. Yes indeed it's a toggle, ie doesn't have an on (pressed) position and off (unpressed) position.
It looks like they are cost cutting. The 3 x 3 ac68 variations will become the new entry level models as they phase out the lower N and AC models in the near future. 4 x 4 models with the 1.4+ Ghz 32 bit and the new 1.8+ Ghz 64 bit BCM chips will represent the new middle and upper tiers.

I had pre-ordered at $124, but cancelled the day before the first units shipped. Glad I did. The AC68U is now selling for $169. But am now considering the AC87U at $193 (but has a 22% bad review rate), or the R7500V2 at $188 (but Netgear has terrible customer service reviews). So what to do!

Returning the two I got, amazon and Asus really have no idea what is going on, even though I have asked to be escalated. But I did get the following from Amazon.

Upon further research, I've confirmed that the router is currently not available from Amazon and is investigated for issues.

Returning the two I got, amazon and Asus really have no idea what is going on, even though I have asked to be escalated. But I did get the following from Amazon.

Upon further research, I've confirmed that the router is currently not available from Amazon and is investigated for issues.
I can't help but wonder if the "issues" being investigated by Amazon are that a few units shipped with the wrong firmware version's. I'm also still being hopeful that the full feature firmware is the correct firmware. Am I being to wishful?

I'm curious also of the number of units that have firmware issues, and also the number of people that have actually received this model. Seems like only a few people who pre-ordered actually have received it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

anyone with the 2xxx firmware and deciding to keep it? also anyone checked the CPU # of cores on the 2xxx? mine only shows 1 core, planning on returning it, but just wondering if anyone with the 2xxx FW has the same CPU # of cores configuration

Not as cheap as the tmobile deal, but frys has the 68u on sale this week if you have their email promo code from today for 138. May be worth the extra to not deal with all of the flashing back and forth to get it to merlin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I had pre-ordered at $124, but cancelled the day before the first units shipped. Glad I did. The AC68U is now selling for $169. But am now considering the AC87U at $193 (but has a 22% bad review rate), or the R7500V2 at $188 (but Netgear has terrible customer service reviews). So what to do!

I pre-ordered. Mine never shipped as promised. Talked to Amazon customer service, ordered a 68U instead and they refunded me the price difference of $66 or so.

I have checked online tutorials but am scratching my head as to how to upgrade the firmware. Is this router locked?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-09%20at%208.02.32%20PM.png

I have checked online tutorials but am scratching my head as to how to upgrade the firmware. Is this router locked?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-09%20at%208.02.32%20PM.png
You should read a few pages back. This model seems to have shipped with two different firmware versions. The firmware on yours, 380_2892 has crippled many of the options on this router, including the ability to upload new firmware. At this time there does not appear to be a work around.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!