What's new

Hello

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sinshiva

Very Senior Member
Cool site, just discovered it. I especially like how in the reviews here, the router's wan/lan throughput is measured.

My network is simple; DSL modem (bridge mode) > linksys e2500 (100mbit) > linksys se2500 gigabit switch > 2x linksys e2000's, one running 2.4ghz and the other 5ghz. i've used a pentium 3 and 4 for different NAT boxes in the past via linux, but they both died and really used too much power. they were nice, though. that said, i want to replace the e2500 with a decently high mhz cpu to use, at the very least, as a low power/decent performance NAT box, and possibly additional APs. I'm considering this; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-Wireless-N750-Dual-Band-Router/22236206 - from my very quick search, seems to be the best price per mhz. that said, are there better/cheaper options? i've got dd-wrt on my APs and know linux, so i'm not scared of anything less conventional than typical consumer products.

thanks.

The linksys EA3500 N750 doesn't support third party firmware, doesn't support reverse NAT, and isn't worth the money. It has Marvell chipset and linksys hasn't updated the firmware in over a year (and probably won't). Some folks have reported ping issues, so if you're a gamer.....
Linksys has abandoned all of their N routers because they are focused on AC routers.

My advice would be to spend the extra $50 and get the Asus RT-N66U or RT-N66R ( same product). You might have to go to best buy or amazon or new egg to find it. Asus routers have 2 yeAr warranties but linksys only has 1.

My only problem with ASUS is they do not have an easy way to block IP addresses. I use access list all the time and could not function without it.

Of course I only run routers which don’t have wireless built-in. I like to run separate wireless devices. If I have to reboot a wireless device I don’t want to have to reboot my router also. I also run multiple wireless devices.

I am now happy with my Cisco RV180 since the last firmware update.

think i am going to get the rt-n66u lol. nice looking router.

forgot to mention, wifi is disabled on my e2500 because of WPS. i got more wifi than i need, though so i'm really just going to use the RT for NAT

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!