What's new

Help a Noob understand how to set up VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When I get the replacement I'll call back and demand they walk me thru the setup.

Frustrating.
What exactly are you trying to setup? If we know maybe we can help.
You want to setup a VPN server / Client?
I really doubt there is anything wrong with you router.

Thanks. Trying to set up an OpenVPN connection to my RT-AC3200 to use my home internet connection instead of untrusted wifi's at airports etc. No plans to use a server for files or data... just want to use my laptop or iphone as a client and connect to my Asus router as the server.

I think the issue now is with my DDNS.

set up the ddns name and it said it was registered. I can remote into my work pc and nslookup my ddns name and it resolves the IP just fine. However, the browser will not pull up the DDNS router interface. Unavailable.

Thanks. Trying to set up an OpenVPN connection to my RT-AC3200 to use my home internet connection instead of untrusted wifi's at airports etc. No plans to use a server for files or data... just want to use my laptop or iphone as a client and connect to my Asus router as the server.

I think the issue now is with my DDNS.

set up the ddns name and it said it was registered. I can remote into my work pc and nslookup my ddns name and it resolves the IP just fine. However, the browser will not pull up the DDNS router interface. Unavailable.

When you register a DDNS with ASUS it should look like in the picture I posted which is a snapshot of the network map tab.
If its registered it will show up like mine does underneath the IP of the WAN
when you go to WAN and DDNS does it say this "The host name is successfully registered." in yellow writing?
if not try registering another name just to be sure. Because when you register the name it should say registered in the 2 areas that I pointed out.
Try using another DDNS service like DYDNS.org, make tests and see if it really is the router or its having problems with the DDNS of asus.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 351