What's new

Help... Ac86U / Ac88U fighting me and my tasmota lights/etc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Hunter

Occasional Visitor
Set up... Tried more than one way. Stock on all and Merlin on all. Full resets via WPS or Rest button depending on router. New ssid each time / step
Started again today from scratch As far as removing my pi4 and re-install of HA. (Still not even powered on yet or connected for the first time.
Cleared Cache on all browsers (chrome/Edge)
Re-installed app. (asus) android

* Before Starteing all this i hooked up old Nighthawk and connected and left all switches/ what ever on it. * Nothing was to connect to asus but the main P/C for set up

Ac86u is main. ( reset from merlin to stock. Logged back in then used Web gui to reset again/ then started full config.
Ac88u followed the same after config on 86u was done. Ethernet from 86u-88u. and AImesh completed and shows up fine.
All seamed well. So pluged in all hard lined ( Just the Cameras and Set up P/C )

Then With Laptop on the night hawk logged into each Tasmota Device and Reset them then added the wifi for 86u. Got about 10 done and getting the same issues that made me do all this. Constant disconnects and unable to enter Web GUI of Switches.

Setting are stock wand Smart Connect Is on.

1. Settings = Should I be changing some things around?
2. IP adresses = Each device still connected to the (Prior) IP it had even with all these resets. (Why)?( The device names did change back to stock ) Like=Tasmota-xxxx
3. All Devices updated ... Only new thing I had going on was Google started telling me things were not secure anymore. Router/Devices all when entering web page GUI's..

So in Short.
Ac86u+(node) AC88u Aimesh backhauled over Lan
90% Of the Devices are MartinJerry or Treatlife on latest Tasmota(10.0)
Devices show on router / Then Disapear .. Sometimes i can get into their GUI sometimes not. Its almost like their trying to Stay in AP mode to help share the signal.

Either way here is a log of a device(Via tasmota GUI) .. I noticed the long and many attems to connect then finally does. I have no clue where to see same on the router side !
00:14:40.343 WIF: Connecting to AP1 AsusFree in mode 11n as tasmota-7A22FB-0763...
00:14:53.009 WIF: Connect failed with AP timeout
00:14:53.348 WIF: Connecting to AP1 AsusFree in mode 11n as tasmota-7A22FB-0763...
00:15:05.009 WIF: Connect failed with AP timeout
00:15:06.342 WIF: Connecting to AP1 AsusFree in mode 11n as tasmota-7A22FB-0763...
00:15:19.004 WIF: Connect failed with AP timeout
00:15:19.343 WIF: Connecting to AP1 AsusFree in mode 11n as tasmota-7A22FB-0763...
00:15:27.005 WIF: Connected
00:15:27.256 HTP: Web server active on tasmota-7A22FB-0763 with IP address 192.168.1.71

Tried more than one way.

Have your tried commissioning one router with one client, separate SSIDs/no Smart Connect, and no Roaming Assistant. Get that working and scale it up gradually.

OE

Have your tried commissioning one router with one client, separate SSIDs/no Smart Connect, and no Roaming Assistant. Get that working and scale it up gradually.

OE
Yes ,, That was last night (seperate ssid no smart connect) and turned off Node(pulled powercord) and restarted system. Didnt help. Thats why I reset all today and still doing. Litterally just moved device from Neatgear( No internet just a backup AP for switches ) to the current Asus and cant find it .

What you mean commissiong one router with one client? Binding? Casue that locks the IP also. And tried. Device still goes off line.

What you mean commissiong one router with one client?

I mean, get one router working with one IoT client... keep it simple so it is easier to troubleshoot.

OE

I mean, get one router working with one IoT client... keep it simple so it is easier to troubleshoot.

OE
Sorda took your Advice.. Removed Node 88u all together , Pulled power on on 86u for about 1 min. and when came back up hit restart. Came back up switched the 5 i could get into GUI and moved back to netgear ,

Removed Lan in from 86u and Put on Nighthawk. Full restarts on both. So now internet on NIght hawk.

Nighthawk no drops . all working well 30 mins.

But whats funny is with 86u no wan connection i was able to get into the last 2 and switch to Nighthawk..(I hope it was the the last ones as some may not have been showing up on 86u )

Have had ISSUES with asus for a good few years. Hints why I had so many laying around. While getting warrenty work on first 88u bought another, then it needed to be sent in for replacement also . I belive it may have been you who said try a 86u a few years back. So i did. and was happy. So i left the new from asus claim 88u's in box till aimesh seamed worked out,. Maybe too soon or those guys keep files /data in them that are hard to fully reset...

8hrs in and all is well. Kinda Sucks . Have (2) 88u and (1) 86U and needed this mesh to work. Could it be that while connected together the 86u was messed up by the 88u node and its 2.4 fail. As ive had exchanged them out due to?

8hrs in and all is well. Kinda Sucks . Have (2) 88u and (1) 86U and needed this mesh to work. Could it be that while connected together the 86u was messed up by the 88u node and its 2.4 fail. As ive had exchanged them out due to?

The AC86U (China 2018 in my experience, twice) has a history of burning out a VR chip. Weird symptoms can develop before it fully falls over... bad power ruins everything.

The AC88U (older) has a history of upper four LAN ports failing.

Such hardware issues can haunt a network until removed.

OE

Well it gets even better... Thought i was all good. Last night 11:30pm i lost internet (not wifi) Checked the router and was not getting anythiing from my isp. Thought it was a bad cabel. Well bypassed the router and had internet. Seams something borked my Netgear to a non working WAN... Trying the 86u again untill i figure a route to go. About 25 wifi lights/switches and another 3 rooms of stream/tv and few phones. So im not sure where or what route...

1. Do you have settings for just single 86u for now ?

2. What you think = Was told go TP-Link EAP245 V3 | Omada AC1750 Gigabit Wireless Access Point setup...?

Well it gets even better... Thought i was all good. Last night 11:30pm i lost internet (not wifi) Checked the router and was not getting anythiing from my isp. Thought it was a bad cabel. Well bypassed the router and had internet. Seams something borked my Netgear to a non working WAN... Trying the 86u again untill i figure a route to go. About 25 wifi lights/switches and another 3 rooms of stream/tv and few phones. So im not sure where or what route...

1. Do you have settings for just single 86u for now ?

2. What you think = Was told go TP-Link EAP245 V3 | Omada AC1750 Gigabit Wireless Access Point setup...?

Unless you want to start over, I'd try to get that AC86U working as your router. Now is not a good time to be buying routers... supply chain shortages, higher prices, and we're halfway between WiFi 5 and WiFi6e product.

My install notes outline a basic configuration for the AC86U. Be sure to install the latest firmware, then reset it and configure from scratch.

OE

Last try.. Just went through your steps..
If not whatr you think between the XT8 and the XD6 ..
Will be wired from node to node.

Unless you want to start over, I'd try to get that AC86U working as your router. Now is not a good time to be buying routers... supply chain shortages, higher prices, and we're halfway between WiFi 5 and WiFi6e product.

My install notes outline a basic configuration for the AC86U. Be sure to install the latest firmware, then reset it and configure from scratch.

OE
So it's been 24hrs or so. Followed your steps almost to the "T" best I could. Static IP was a no go but I may have been the cause of that and not understanding where to set static IP." Wan or lan" in wan it won't connect to internet. Not sure why. I can say my provider is Eatel her in Louisiana . I have their older system with battery back up. No modem on my end. Guessing it's kinda what that box does. I know I only connect into a rj45 and go from there.

Tried calling but they don't answer. Spent 30 mins one day on hold to no avail.

I do get some disconnects but it's mostly lan devices. Like the PC . But that could be GUI updating ?

So it's been 24hrs or so. Followed your steps almost to the "T" best I could. Static IP was a no go but I may have been the cause of that and not understanding where to set static IP." Wan or lan" in wan it won't connect to internet. Not sure why. I can say my provider is Eatel her in Louisiana . I have their older system with battery back up. No modem on my end. Guessing it's kinda what that box does. I know I only connect into a rj45 and go from there.

Tried calling but they don't answer. Spent 30 mins one day on hold to no avail.

I do get some disconnects but it's mostly lan devices. Like the PC . But that could be GUI updating ?

Let the router DHCP server automatically assign IP addresses to your wired LAN and wireless WLAN devices.

Disconnection of wired LAN devices is not common and should be resolved, if that is what you are observing. Suspect cables, connectors/jacks, and device Ethernet adapters.

Disconnection of wireless WLAN devices is more common. Many possible culprits.

OE

Let the router DHCP server automatically assign IP addresses to your wired LAN and wireless WLAN devices.

Disconnection of wired LAN devices is not common and should be resolved, if that is what you are observing. Suspect cables, connectors/jacks, and device Ethernet adapters.

Disconnection of wireless WLAN devices is more common. Many possible culprits.

OE
Im not sure if its really Disconecting or not. Take the "Main PC" The ASUS GUI shows it drop then apear. But at the same time i can cont using internet /(youtube playing and no notiifaction from windows that Inter dropped. This is through IE explorer/ Firfox/chrome dont matter. Is there wqith stock ASUS a way to log LAN ips. ?

Im not sure if its really Disconecting or not. Take the "Main PC" The ASUS GUI shows it drop then apear. But at the same time i can cont using internet /(youtube playing and no notiifaction from windows that Inter dropped. This is through IE explorer/ Firfox/chrome dont matter. Is there wqith stock ASUS a way to log LAN ips. ?

The client list(s) in the router webUI seem to take some time to settle, and then are still not reliable. I ignore them except for the Wireless Log. If your clients have network access, they are not disconnecting.

OE

The client list(s) in the router webUI seem to take some time to settle, and then are still not reliable. I ignore them except for the Wireless Log. If your clients have network access, they are not disconnecting.

OE
Figured I would return with a update. For 1 week since last post was still coming home to some of my switches (lights) being in ap mode as they lost wifi signal. Usually a reboot of router solved. But I didn't wanna play any more and without bashing a brand I did a total swap to a diff system. Edgemax router , Netgear switches and 2 - Access Points(Tp-link 245 v3 / Tp-link 660HD) . Since the switch over (9 days) not the first drop out and overall better signal. But the better signal was expected switching over.

What I believe the issue with the Asus set up is same as I experienced before (with 2 other ac88u that were swapped via warranty ) 2.4 band . I'm gonna admit the Hurricane and power loss didn't help. Along with each time they fixed power to our neighborhood it broke less than 3 hrs later . And while at work I wasn't aware that their method to test under ground lines also included tripping main line breakers every few secs . So power on /off alot in short time.

The Asus 86u and 88u we're great set ups for the years and years I ran it. Just bad luck and the option to switch to more (complicated to me) was just a best move as I once done automating house be some were around 50-70 connections..

Again thanks for taking time to help .

Thanks for the update.

To clarify, if the steps in post 1 were followed with the same routers as the issues with power in post 16, I don't see this as a permanent solution. (Until the next time the power goes on the fritz again).

At the very least, use as many quality UPS' as you need to keep your network equipment infrastructure as protected as possible.

Hope your network continues to work well for many, many years to come.

Power fritz's was intentional by power company. Battery back up solutions being sorted out and should be up and running soon. I believe I keep trying to beat a dead horse. 8 believe the 86u is fine but didn't wanna believe it. I can say before trying the asus mesh and running only 86u I didn't have issues. And heck for a short time on mesh was fine. Too many variables . Adding and updating devices/Hurrican/power outs/ along with me knowing Jack crap on networking trouble shooting didn't help. I couldn't pass up the chance and opportunity giving at the time for the new system with the install . No way I could have done this install and would have had to many post created here. Lol.

Between you and Ozark I'd be willing to send over the ac88u if either y'all wanted to see if it was having the issues with 2.4. I don't want my one discourage to not go Asus over my fault or a chance it did actually break.

No, thank you. It's not that I don't believe the routers you have weren't properly set up. I simply believe they were irrevocably damaged by the power company.

No, thank you. It's not that I don't believe the routers you have weren't properly set up. I simply believe they were irrevocably damaged by the power company.
Lookie at this.. Too bad im switched out or i would try.. If not allowed to post im sorry..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!