What's new

HELP ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware:388.1 General VPN Connection and Internet Connection Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

B255ea006

Regular Contributor
Hi,

for a week or two i have major internet/ VPN connection issues with my ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware 388.1 router.

All the LED are still bright with, no red light what so ever. But ´since 2 weeks or so i do have connection issues even with bright with LEDs on the router.
It does not mater. I can setup fresh a momentarrly working VPN connection or the TOR option, evertime after a few hours the connection stops and the access to the router wanishes.
I habe to hard reset the router with pushing the red button on it´s back no other option. The Instant Guard does not work either. Resetting the OpenVPN connections does not work. Always if i upload an new config file it throws me back to the login screen of the router. Why?

WireGuard is also no option. if i do a fresh setup of the setting with an working and valid and tested WireGuard file it completely causes an connection error but no working VPN connection.

Because of the issues i switched to the TOR option but over WiFi it only works temporally and causes an abortion of the WiFi conenction possibly based on the rapid and very frequent IP/ conenction switches and it is slow as heck too. A speedtest is impossible but surfing is barley possible because of the slow connection speed. But this is not the end. as i told you before after a while the connection completely stops and the access to the router controlls and settings wanishes the router is no more available over the IP or address.

What can i do?

Is this a Firmware bug or what is it?

I do run no Addons or scribes what so ever.

Please help or guide me! @RMerlin

1674985255095.png

but why? i want to fix it.
Reset and reconfigure may help the fix. Also go back to Asus firmware as it seems you do not need the features and complications of the Merlin firmware.

Reset and reconfigure may help the fix. Also go back to Asus firmware as it seems you do not need the features and complications of the Merlin firmware.
I won't go back to the ASUS firmware. I like the Merlin Firmware and today i just started to discover and learn by doing how to work and get use to amtm scripts etc... even if my first try a while ago was not a success and disappointing. After installing and running some scripts the Webinterface became impossible to use and looked out of range. Let's hope my try today will be a positive experience.

Because the firmware contains so many options that can cause conflicts, because there are hundreds of options out there, it's almost impossible to troubleshoot them all, but after a factory reset, resetting everything will make troubleshooting easy, and you'll remember you changes made.

Because the firmware contains so many options that can cause conflicts, because there are hundreds of options out there, it's almost impossible to troubleshoot them all, but after a factory reset, resetting everything will make troubleshooting easy, and you'll remember you changes made.
But how does it come that everything worked fine for months but since 2 weeks the devil is in the detail and causing issues.

But one thing does not seem to work out well for the router is from the beginning. I have setup multiple VPN connections and switching between them is not always followed by proper function of the device and caused failure ever since. So the device does not like it if you switch between your VPN connections and id does not matter if it is the original or the merlin formware. periode

WOW i tried to switch the Firmware but i cannot switch the Firmware the router will not let me. Cannot switch back to the ASUS Firmware or the Merlin beta Firmware and ther is not new Firmware?! OMG What happens to me? Why is not the device resonding to my input?! currious!

WOW i tried to switch the Firmware but i cannot switch the Firmware the router will not let me. Cannot switch back to the ASUS Firmware or the Merlin beta Firmware and ther is not new Firmware?! OMG What happens to me? Why is not the device resonding to my input?! currious!

Perform a factory reset as already advised

What’s not working? You need to be more specific.
I gave it up! i send the device back! It´s 200 € trash! Waste of money!

I but a ASUS RT-AX86S AX5700 and hope/ beck for a merlin firmware upgrade!

regards