What's new

Solved Help! Cannot update GT-AXE16000 to 388

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I factory reset each time setting up just the bare minimum every time before trying to flash so AiProtection and the like had not even been switched on. I also tried the latest release and beta - same result (failed).

My replacement actually arrived earlier today. I flashed 388.22237 successfully and touch wood, all is good.

HB

Hi, I downloaded the 388.1 version of your firmware for the GT-AXE16000, but I noticed there are two firmware files, one that has rog_nand_squash in the name and another that is just nand_squash . Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between these two?

Update:
Nevermind! I found out here what the difference is between the two: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ilable-for-all-supported-wifi-6-models.82084/

Thanks!
Were you able to upgrade to latest 388 firmware? if so could you share how?

I am facing the same problem now. offical 386 firmware can't upgrade to offical 388 firmware. tried all 388.1 388.2 even beta.

It would just go into boot loop and won't work unless use rescue mode back to the 386 firmware. and once try to upgrade the boot loop just happens again....

could you give me some advise? @RMerlin @HeadBanger

Thanks

How long have you let it loop the boots? Is this something it will do indefinitely, or perhaps just several times while setting itself up, which maybe you impatiently terminate? Don't have a clue about it; just wondering "out loud."

How long have you let it loop the boots? Is this something it will do indefinitely, or perhaps just several times while setting itself up, which maybe you impatiently terminate? Don't have a clue about it; just wondering "out loud."
At 1 point I left the loop boots for over 30mins it just boot few times the led flesh few times on the power and 10GBE light. All the other lights are off. And it would just repeat. No cable are connected. Just using wifi. Tried with cable as well for the install

Were you able to upgrade to latest 388 firmware? if so could you share how?

I am facing the same problem now. offical 386 firmware can't upgrade to offical 388 firmware. tried all 388.1 388.2 even beta.

It would just go into boot loop and won't work unless use rescue mode back to the 386 firmware. and once try to upgrade the boot loop just happens again....

could you give me some advise? @RMerlin @HeadBanger

Thanks
I gave up trying in the end and returned the router for a replacement. Per my previous post all ASUS could advise was that the router was crashing according the the feedback logs I sent them. Letting it auto-update to 388 resulted in the same boot loops that you are experiencing. I suspect something in NVRAM was corrupted and could not be recovered with the resets as I was also getting low NVRAM warnings in the last few days before I called it a day which full resets did not resolve.

On the new 16000 I let the router go through the set up process which included automatically updating the firmware to the last 386 version they released. I then factory reset and manually flashed the latest ASUS 388 version. I then factory reset and flashed Merlin 388.1, factory reset again and configured as I need. I possibly didn't need all the resets but I didn't want to end up with another that refused to upgrade.

HB

I gave up trying in the end and returned the router for a replacement. Per my previous post all ASUS could advise was that the router was crashing according the the feedback logs I sent them. Letting it auto-update to 388 resulted in the same boot loops that you are experiencing. I suspect something in NVRAM was corrupted and could not be recovered with the resets as I was also getting low NVRAM warnings in the last few days before I called it a day which full resets did not resolve.

On the new 16000 I let the router go through the set up process which included automatically updating the firmware to the last 386 version they released. I then factory reset and manually flashed the latest ASUS 388 version. I then factory reset and flashed Merlin 388.1, factory reset again and configured as I need. I possibly didn't need all the resets but I didn't want to end up with another that refused to upgrade.

HB

Can you change the Title setting to "Solved", even if it is by replacement.

Can we get it changed from 'solved' because it wasn't.
Had high hopes because of the 'solved' but am now actually stuck on 386 forever.
Also had the low nvram warning.
Tried 388.5 also but no joy.
Don't suppose anything later in the 386 branch,currently on 386.8?

router is within warranty but asus wont help because I'm not the original purchaser.

whats the 'reason' why auto update bootloops but manual update seemingly works but actually does nothing?

Last edited:
Can we get it changed from 'solved' because it wasn't.
It was solved for the OP, so the tag is appropriate. Your issue might be different, so you should start a new thread instead.

It was solved for the OP, so the tag is appropriate. Your issue might be different, so you should start a new thread instead.

Exact same issue unfortunately with no chance of replacement :(
'Solved by replacement' is that acceptable?

I have to use any 386 FW,currently on 386.8 which I think is last 386 for the AXE16000?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!