What's new

Solved Help! Cannot update GT-AXE16000 to 388

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HeadBanger

Regular Contributor
Per title I cannot for the life of me get it to update.

I run RMerlin's firmware and flashed his ROG version of 386 when I first got the router back in September (ROG version only so that I could try the visual layout). When the first RMerlin alpha 388 was released I was able to flash it but all of my 2.4 devices failed to connect so I rolled back to 386.8 (non-ROG as prefer the standard). I later tried the subsequent alpha and beta versions of RMerlin's 388 and none now flash (I posted on both the alpha and beta threads) and the GUI always wrongly reports that the update has been successful. Note no USBs are connected.

I have tried the new ASUS release version of 388 today and that will not flash either. I am able to flash between ASUS and RMerlin's 386 (ROG and non-ROG) but not to 388. I have tried:

1. Full reset
2. Chrome, Edge and Firefox
3. ASUS restoration tool
4. Different router ports and different cables

Worryingly, the restoration tool tries but after 30 seconds it reports that it is not in recovery mode (it is - power light is blinking very slowly [after powering on whilst holding reset] and only my PC is connected with Ethernet set as 192.168.1.10, 255.255.255.0). I have tried multiple times today after full reset etc.).

I cleared the log, tried an update over the GUI with Firefox and then downloaded the log. Is anyone able to make any sense of what is failing please?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
HB

Attachments

• AXE16000_26112022.txt
    223.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Worryingly, the restoration tool tries but after 30 seconds it reports that it is not in recovery mode (it is - power light is blinking very slowly [after powering on whilst holding reset] and only my PC is connected with Ethernet set as 192.168.0.10, 255.255.255.0). I have tried multiple times today after full reset etc.).
The IP address should be 192.168.1.10.

@RMerlin - can you help please? Any idea what the log attached in post 1 indicates, do I have a dud router or is something else going on?

thanks,

HB

According to the log your router is crashing. Try a complete electrical reset:

1) Turn the router off
2) Unplug the power
3) Turn the router on for 5-10 secs to drain any residual charge, then turn it off
4) Plug the power back in
5) Turn it on
6) Try again

If it still crash, then you should RMA it.

1) Turn the router off
2) Unplug the power
3) Turn the router on for 5-10 secs to drain any residual charge, then turn it off
5) Turn it on
6) Try again

Thank you for the reply - really appreciated.

I will try that as soon as I can but strangely it runs fine until I try to flash 388 causing the crash - it is not crashing otherwise and any earlier firmware from you or ASUS flashes fine.

HB

1) Turn the router off
2) Unplug the power
5) Turn it on
6) Try again

Following that procedure seems to have stopped the crashing but it still refuses to flash the firmware (either RMerlin or ASUS 388). I have attached the log following the last attempt at flashing beta 4.
This part seems to state that the firmware flash was successful:

May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Reset the processors to start execution of the code in the on-chip memory
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Verify that the processors are running: OK
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Verify that the firmware has been loaded with good CRC: OK
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Firmware loading completed successfully: v2.2.8
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Loading firmware into detected PHYs: map=0x20000 count=1
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Halt the PHYs processors operation
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Upload the firmware into the on-chip memory: file=/rom/etc/fw/longfin_a0_firmware.bin size=294708
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: 0%^[[1A
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: 1%^[[1A
[removed the 2%-99% messages]
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: 100%^[[1A
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Reset the processors to start execution of the code in the on-chip memory
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Verify that the firmware has been loaded with good CRC: OK

But it remains on 386.8 once booted.

1670071306277.png

Is there anything else that I should try please?

Many thanks,

HB

Attachments

• syslog_part1.txt
    65.6 KB · Views: 43
  • syslog_part2.txt
    45.4 KB · Views: 51
That refers to the network switch internal firmware, it's unrelated to the router firmware itself.

The system log won't contain any info regarding the flash process, because the syslog daemon needs to be stopped before the flash can proceed.

All I can suggest is the usual:

1) Triple-check that you downloaded the correct model (this is a very frequent mistake)
2) Disable any running antivirus (some are known to interfere with the upload process)
3) Try a different computer (you can even flash using a tablet/smartphone, by copying the file to a cloud storage like Onedrive or Google Drive)

Beyond that, I have no other idea. The flash process does not generate any log, and the whole process itself is closed source so I have no insight on its internal workings. If even flashing the stock firmware fails, then I suggest contacting Asus' tech support about it.

That refers to the network switch internal firmware, it's unrelated to the router firmware itself.

The system log won't contain any info regarding the flash process, because the syslog daemon needs to be stopped before the flash can proceed.

All I can suggest is the usual:

1) Triple-check that you downloaded the correct model (this is a very frequent mistake)
2) Disable any running antivirus (some are known to interfere with the upload process)
3) Try a different computer (you can even flash using a tablet/smartphone, by copying the file to a cloud storage like Onedrive or Google Drive)

Beyond that, I have no other idea. The flash process does not generate any log, and the whole process itself is closed source so I have no insight on its internal workings. If even flashing the stock firmware fails, then I suggest contacting Asus' tech support about it.
Thank you again.

I'm definitely trying to flash the correct firmware (RMerlin and ASUS):

1670158002538.png

I tried all morning again today with PC and laptop, fully reset the router, switched MS defender and the like off and finally got the ASUS recovery tool to flash ASUS 388 after 20 or so attempts. The ASUS recovery tool reported successful but the router then went into a continuous cycle of trying to boot up. I recovered it with ASUS 386, selected auto update in the GUI and let that run and it then did exactly the same - a loop of continuous rebooting. I've recovered again flashing RMerlin 386.8.

Looks like I do have a dud as it refuses to flash 388. I'll get on to ASUS support tomorrow and see what the process is for an RMA :(

Best,
HB

I'm having the same exact issues I can't even update to the newest official ASUS firmware but I can do the previous version.

I was having a problem updating to the latest firmware, I was also experiencing the same issue as you where it went into constant boot loops. I was able to factory reset, and then upgrade the firmware before making any other changes. Once I enabled AiProtection, it went into a boot loop again. I was able to stop the boot loop by powering off the router using the power switch and letting it sit for a little bit before turning it back on. Did you all happen to enable AiProtection? Now that I have it running again, I'm a little afraid to make any settings changes for fear it might go into another boot loop.

I was having a problem updating to the latest firmware, I was also experiencing the same issue as you where it went into constant boot loops. I was able to factory reset, and then upgrade the firmware before making any other changes. Once I enabled AiProtection, it went into a boot loop again. I was able to stop the boot loop by powering off the router using the power switch and letting it sit for a little bit before turning it back on. Did you all happen to enable AiProtection? Now that I have it running again, I'm a little afraid to make any settings changes for fear it might go into another boot loop.
There was a bug on that router model when enabling AiProtection and having a WAN link rate higher than 1 Gbps. I know Asus has since fixed the issue (and the fix is present in version 388.1 of my firmware), however I do not know which Asus release will include the same fix.

There was a bug on that router model when enabling AiProtection and having a WAN link rate higher than 1 Gbps. I know Asus has since fixed the issue (and the fix is present in version 388.1 of my firmware), however I do not know which Asus release will include the same fix.
Thanks! My ONT has a 10Gbps Ethernet port on it, this must be what was causing my constant bootloops! I'll give your firmware a shot, thanks for the insight!

Hi, I downloaded the 388.1 version of your firmware for the GT-AXE16000, but I noticed there are two firmware files, one that has rog_nand_squash in the name and another that is just nand_squash . Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between these two?

Update:
Nevermind! I found out here what the difference is between the two: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ilable-for-all-supported-wifi-6-models.82084/

Thanks!

Last edited:
Following that procedure seems to have stopped the crashing but it still refuses to flash the firmware (either RMerlin or ASUS 388). I have attached the log following the last attempt at flashing beta 4.

May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Loading firmware into detected PHYs: map=0x20000 count=1
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Halt the PHYs processors operation
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: Upload the firmware into the on-chip memory: file=/rom/etc/fw/longfin_a0_firmware.bin size=294708
[removed the 2%-99% messages]
May 5 06:05:22 kernel: 100%^[[1A

But it remains on 386.8 once booted.

View attachment 45917

Is there anything else that I should try please?

Many thanks,

HB
Seems like im having similar issue with update? did you solve it somehow? Thanks

Seems like im having similar issue with update? did you solve it somehow? Thanks

I have not. I’ve opened a ticket with ASUS and they’re looking at my logs.

They initially advised that they can successfully update their test GT-AXE16000 router without issue and thought I had corrupt setting somewhere. Not sure how as I fully reset the router several times (GUI and the physical reset button) whilst trying.

I’ll post back once they advise further but for now I’m still stuck on 386.

HB

Hmm but if you are on 386 - Merlin FW, Asus support wont help you as they do not provide support for 3rd party / Modded FW, or im I wrong? :)

Hmm but if you are on 386 - Merlin FW, Asus support wont help you as they do not provide support for 3rd party / Modded FW, or im I wrong? :)
Correct. Support is being given under the ASAUS 386 official version.

I can flash any older firmwares just not the latest 388 (ASUS or Merlin).

HB

Just posting to close this thread off and in case anyone else has the same issue and stumbles across this thread.

I spent several weeks going back and forth with ASUS support and sending them logs after attempting to update to firmware FW_GT_AXE16000_300438821617 after full resets (WPS/power, reset button and factory reset in GUI). Unfortunately, all they could advise was that the router was crashing. Latest release and beta also fail/crash.

Replacement is inbound next week.

HB

wow this is scary. thanks for keeping us updated. I will receive the GT AXE16000 next week. I will make sure update it to the offical 388.1 first before installing Merlin.

Btw did you try to disable the ai protection before the firmware update?

also did you try the new ASUS GT-AXE16000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22237 firmware or the new beta 9.0 one?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!