What's new

[HELP] Choosing a 2nd ASUS router to extend home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You may well find this helpful:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Merlin has said in the past that the out-of-the-box settings are all safe ones ie you don’t need to tinker with anything to make the router secure. So heed L&LD’s advice and only change any settings as and when strictly necessary and when you’re quite sure you know the consequences of doing so. And only make one change at a time and check you’re happy with everything before moving on to make any further changes or else you could end up in such a pickle
that you have to reset everything back to default.

(Another advantage of AB Solution over
Pi Hole is that you have 2 less cables in the rats’ nest of wires at the router.)

Asus just released their new AI Mesh feature - https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/. It works like where the main router is the controller. You can connect to the secondary router over WIFI but it also has an ethernet backhaul which I have tested and works great. I wouldn't suggest a 2 band router for Wifi mesh though it cuts the bandwidth down. Tri band only for using Wifi Mesh so it uses one whole band for backhaul. 2 band router works great though with ethernet backhaul.

Proposed Setup
Main Router - Asus RT-86U (latest stock firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007 - https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_Download/)
Secondary Router - Recommended 2 choices for 2 band ethernet. If you want Wifi Mesh I would hold off until they release updated firmware for the 5300's either the AC or GT models. I wouldn't touch the 3200.
1. Set up your main router.
2. Second router should be reset to defaults and latest firmware for it as well. Ethernet backhaul plug in ethernet into WAN (must be WAN ) on second router and LAN port on Main router or into secondary switch that also has a plug for the second router.
3. Main router click on the AI Mesh option and search for the second router. It sets it up automatically.
4. All set.
Hey Wingsfan87, I was wondering, since you've tested the AI Mesh feature, would you happen to know if the LAN ports on the AI Mesh "Node" router are still functional? I have an RT-AC68U that I'd like to use as a Node and the intended location has one Cat5e and a dumb 4-port switch allowing connection of my wired media devices. I'd like to place the RT-AC68U there as a Node and not have to use the dumb switch anymore, utilizing the ports on the Node instead.

Hoping to go: AI Mesh Router <Cat5e> AI Mesh Node <Cat5e> Wired Media Devices

If the LAN ports are inactive in Node mode I'd have to go: AI Mesh Router <Cat5e> Dumb 4-port Switch <Cat5e> Wired Media Devices & AI Mesh Node

Thanks in advance if you have time to respond.

It works fine. I have my new AC86U as my main router.

My first node is an AC3100 in my bedroom, with a Roku and an Android TV box plugged into LAN ports 1 & 2.

My second node is an AC68U (TM-AC1900 converted) and was hijacked by my kid... Lol, and I'm pretty sure has all 4 LAN ports plugged into game systems and whatnot.

The AiMesh system works well, but occasionally from my login UI page it will sometimes say not connected, but it IS. I think AiMesh is still a work in progress for ASUS (beta-ish).

EDIT: I just reread your post, sorry.. I should say I'm still all wireless. I'm dropping my CAT6 lines down from the attic this weekend. I would assume, they should work. We'll see.

It works fine. I have my new AC86U as my main router.

My first node is an AC3100 in my bedroom, with a Roku and an Android TV box plugged into LAN ports 1 & 2.

My second node is an AC68U (TM-AC1900 converted) and was hijacked by my kid... Lol, and I'm pretty sure has all 4 LAN ports plugged into game systems and whatnot.

The AiMesh system works well, but occasionally from my login UI page it will sometimes say not connected, but it IS. I think AiMesh is still a work in progress for ASUS (beta-ish).

EDIT: I just reread your post, sorry.. I should say I'm still all wireless. I'm dropping my CAT6 lines down from the attic this weekend. I would assume, they should work. We'll see.
Thanks for the prompt reply! My Node will backhaul over ethernet, so I wonder if the LAN ports will still be functional for your devices once you switch from a wireless Mesh backhaul to a wired one.

If you let me know how it functions once you get the Cat6 there I'd very much appreciate it.

Hey Wingsfan87, I was wondering, since you've tested the AI Mesh feature, would you happen to know if the LAN ports on the AI Mesh "Node" router are still functional? I have an RT-AC68U that I'd like to use as a Node and the intended location has one Cat5e and a dumb 4-port switch allowing connection of my wired media devices. I'd like to place the RT-AC68U there as a Node and not have to use the dumb switch anymore, utilizing the ports on the Node instead.

Hoping to go: AI Mesh Router <Cat5e> AI Mesh Node <Cat5e> Wired Media Devices

If the LAN ports are inactive in Node mode I'd have to go: AI Mesh Router <Cat5e> Dumb 4-port Switch <Cat5e> Wired Media Devices & AI Mesh Node

Thanks in advance if you have time to respond.

Yeah it does. The ports will work.

What is the biggest advantages of having 2 routers ?

Coverage to areas of my wireless network's "dead zones". The design of my multi-level house can be challenging. The AiMesh system permits seem less connections when dropping 1 connection to another. They all have the same SSID. I'm now using 3 routers. RT-AC86U, AC3100, &RT-AC68U. It works fantastic.