What's new

help for nuclear reset on my ax88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unetwork

Hello, before installing the new 384.19 firmware I would like to do a nuclear reset. Do you have a recent tutorial for my ax88u? Thanks for your help. Best regards.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. There is no other method of this forum? I seemed to have seen another method for a nuclear reset.

@Unetwork you're probably thinking of my M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides. Afterward, be sure to check out the amtm Step-by-Step guide too, if needed. (Note that 'installing' amtm isn't required with RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 or later).

Important note: you need to flash to the firmware you want and then perform a full reset to factory defaults. Doing so before won't accomplish anything. :)

See the link below (last two paragraphs) or the link in my signature for the links to the guides you're looking for.

Thank you for the link. There is no other method of this forum? I seemed to have seen another method for a nuclear reset.
The reset you mentioned. Is overkill. Just use Asus factory reset. It works and is quick.

As is the M&M Config. Along with useful defaults. :)

@L&LD Thanks for your help. So the following link for nuclear reset is up to date and working for my ax88u router ?

@L&LD
I am not sure of the procedure because I also just came across this :

1. Press the reset button on the back of the router while turning on the router and keep holding until it reboots.
  2. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  3. Perform the WPS reset method.
  4. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  5. Perform a GUI reset to factory defaults along with checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox.
  6. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  7. Check the box to 'Format the JFFS on next reboot', hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  8. Flash the same firmware one last time.

your procedure here does not have the same steps. Which one do you recommend ?

Another question, before doing the procedure, is it necessary to reflash the original firmware? or do I leave merlin ?
thank you for your help because i am lost.

Last edited:
@L&LD

Another question, before doing the procedure, is it necessary to reflash the original firmware? or do I leave merlin ?

This is the official reset procedure for your AX88U router: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078

Just happens to be the same for my AC86U.

@K-2SO and @bbunge =>
Thanks a lot for your help. So I will follow this procedure and then flash the new merlin firmware 384.19 :

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

i dont need to reflash original asus firmware before doing wps reset?

if JFFS puts warning message after flash of merlin 384.19 i just reboot or format JFFS partition is necessary ?

sorry but I would like to know the steps in the order to proceed well.

Last edited:
- unmount attached USB drives
- reboot your router
- flash the new Merlin on top
- do factory reset after the flash
- format jffs if needed, if not mounted
- set your router manually
- re-install fresh all scripts, if any
- enjoy

@K-2SO
thanks a lot for your help and the procedure.

Small question : after the flash 384.19 and the factory reset, I configured the router with the wizard on page "192.168.50.1" and I saw that JFFS was not mounted.
- So I format the partition, apply, and reboot.
JFFS still hadn't come up so I did a second reboot and it was good.

Is it normaly to do two reboots for JFFS formatting to work ?

now, after two reboots everything seems to work perfectly! the JFFS partition is properly mounted.

Ok thank you. Does this mean that in version 384.20 there will not be this JFFS problem ?
Prior to version 384.19, I never had to format JFFS...

the JFFS problem is present on my AX88U.
Thank you very much anyway for your help !

@L&LD
I am not sure of the procedure because I also just came across this :

1. Press the reset button on the back of the router while turning on the router and keep holding until it reboots.
  2. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  3. Perform the WPS reset method.
  4. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  5. Perform a GUI reset to factory defaults along with checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox.
  6. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  7. Check the box to 'Format the JFFS on next reboot', hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  8. Flash the same firmware one last time.

You should stick to one 'guide' and follow it through. The steps are self-explanatory.

What can I say to your question though? I recommend and use my guide because it has worked for many hundreds of routers for my customers and myself. :)

You should stick to one 'guide' and follow it through. The steps are self-explanatory.

What can I say to your question though? I recommend and use my guide because it has worked for many hundreds of routers for my customers and myself. :)

@L&LD Thanks for your help. I take note of your procedure and would be sure to use it if needed. ;)

quick question, before starting your procedure and doing the WPS reset, should you already flash the new firmware merlin or keep the old one ?

Reset the router after you flashed the new FW, @Unetwork. Only if you need to reset. Most of the time not needed. If you have a lot of free time to kill, follow the self invented and promoted guides around. Make sure you wait for few hours between the steps. Make sure you disconnect everything, even your phone from the charger. Call your friends to disconnect theirs too, just in case. Unplug your Tesla, if you have one. Unplug your neighbors Tesla, if they have one. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!