What's new

Help me Choose between RT AX 86U Pro Vs RT AX 88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My network is 2.4Ghz heavy due to IoT devices and therefore I prefer the better 2.4Ghz capacity for concurrent client connections.

There is no MU-MIMO and Beamforming in N on 2.4GHz. Your IoTs are served one at a time and most one stream only. How many of your IoTs are AX devices?

There is no MU-MIMO and Beamforming in N on 2.4GHz. Your IoTs are served one at a time and most one stream only. How many of your IoTs are AX devices?
Not many unfortunately as manufacturers are still mainly using cheap as chips N technology, a few AC ones (I think they only support it on 5Ghz) so unfortunately I stand corrected.

The 4-stream radio has better range and sensitivity, but in theory only. I've seen 2-stream 2.4GHz AP radios better than 4-stream in home routers. Perhaps this is the reason some people use separate business class AP(s) dedicated to IoT devices. Some of them are cheap starting from $40 like EAP115.

I own both RT-AX86U and RT-AX88U models, and have recently bought 2 RT-AX88U PROs to replace my AX86Us and downgrade the AX88U to a mesh node. I may replace it with a PRO model later.

My own experience has been that I hit issues with the configuration of WiFi on my RT-AX86Us effecting the ability of some (mainly IoT) 2.4Ghz devices. These problems only impact when the AX86U is used as a mesh node, and can be temporarily resolved by toggling Wireless Authentication Method to another setting and back to WPA2 - this has also been reported by another user. My AX88U has been rock solid for my use case once early firmware issues were resolved.

However, I think there is some information that has been overlooked in previous replies. The two routers differ in their 2.4Ghz networking - the AX86U is 3x3 and therefore can support 3 concurrent spatial streams, whereas the AX88U is 4x4 and therefore supports 4 concurrent spatial streams. My network is 2.4Ghz heavy due to IoT devices and therefore I prefer the better 2.4Ghz capacity for concurrent client connections.

So far both AX88U PROs are working well.
I had that problem in my AX88U Pro, with all current firmware versions, I have the case reported to Asus, they asked me for everything and I hope they solve it, I changed the router thinking that it could be the unit that I got that was wrong, but the other new one received, also presented the same problems as the previous one, with the same firmware versions, I returned to an AX58U with firmware 3.0.0.4386_48908, and not a single problem of this type, everything perfect, I was told that it was a problem of my devices ... a dispositvo because it could be, they are all randomly every day and only happen with the AX88U Pro and not with the AX58U, as they are not my devices, we will see what answer Asus gives me, but the support leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:
Like the original poster, I was looking to decide between the AX86U Pro and AX88U Pro. I read through this thread and have now looked at the GT-AX6000 as well. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of the GT-AX6000 compared to the other two.

My use case is:
  • Single-family home, medium sized, two stories plus basement
  • Outdoor coverage, likely up to 150 feet on one side, no more than 50 feet on all other sides
  • Approximately 20 simultaneous devices, likely 40-ish in total
  • Streaming video and audio
  • Minimal serious gaming
  • OpenVPN client support is a must
  • Not concerned about wired connectivity
  • Fair number of IoT devices - VLAN capable would be nice, but not required as long as multiple guest networks exist
Any thoughts on whether there's anything to gain by going to the AX88U Pro or GT-AX6000? Thanks in advance!

Any thoughts on whether there's anything to gain by going to the AX88U Pro or GT-AX6000? Thanks in advance!
The faster CPU will benefit OpenVPN.

All three list a quad-core 2.0GHz processor, but I can't seem to find details on the exact chip for any of them. Are they different processors under the hood?
Sorry, I missed that you were also comparing against the RT-AX86U_Pro and not the regular one. These three all use the same CPU indeed.

The GT-AX6000 is an ROG model, so you probably pay a bit of extra to get RGB lighting.

I took the plunge and bought 3 x RT-AX88U Pros to replace my setup. Using Merlin on my main router and stock on the nodes it is running absolutely fine with no issues I've noticed. All my devices connect and settle on the appropriate nodes properly.

I took note of the release notes for 3.0.0.4.388_23110 and did a full factory reset after upgrade (including the unit which is now running Merlin). I'm not sure if the changes in that version are why I am finding it so much better.

I did try running the later Asuswrt 5.0 version 3.0.0.6.102_21514 but it was a disaster so will let it mature first.

Last edited:
.... Using Merlin on my main router and stock on the nodes it is running absolutely fine with no issues I've noticed. ...
Subsequent to above post in July this year - I see you are now running Merlin on the nodes ?? [your signature?]

Bit late, but on my ac phone I get wireless 650 down and 450 up, on my ax laptop I get full gigabit in range of 5 mtr on a 86u pro

Subsequent to above post in July this year - I see you are now running Merlin on the nodes ?? [your signature?]
Not as a result of any specific issue, just to align the WiFi driver versions across my network. If an updated stock firmware surfaces I will probably try that on the nodes.

I got the ASUS RT-AX86U Pro on a Black Friday for a good deal - 171,45 €. It arrived a few days ago and I was pretty excited to test it, because I was using a 10 yo Cisco Linksys WiFi N router, which had been working with no issues, but I wanted a faster one, because I upgraded my Internet to 600 Mbs. Anyway, First tests were impressive (see attached screen shot). I made the initial setup with the phone app. But then something very strange happeed. After the first 15 - 20 min., I started getting very poor and unstable connection. Like, I'm in the same room 1 meter from the router with my laptop with clear vision and it drops the connection. Phone - too. The other laptop - too. I can barely connect and it drops from time to time. I tried many many things, resetting it a few times, rebooting it, rebooting the laptop, the phone, changing some settings I discovered in online forums, "forgetting" the networks in the phone and lapto and so on - nothing. I tried disabling beam forming, QoS, splitting the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs into two separate or in one name, disabled all kinds of settings which were supposed to help, but the router was practically useless! I tried with the latest beta firmware - same thing. I didn't try with Merlin, because I was going to return that PoS immediately to Amazon the next day. I even printed the label fro returning it with HDL. I went to sleep, but the router was in the same room but the LED indicators of the router were preventing me to fall asleep so I unplugged it straight from the power outlet.

The next day I was packing it already but remembered that I need to reset it once again so that my personal settings aren't there. I powered it on again just to reset it. I thought maybe I should reset it by holding the "reset" pin button for about 10 seconds and call it a day, but then I decided to try to connect to it once again and do the resetting from the web UI. And miracle happened! Without changing anything over night the router was just working perfectly. It's been behaving good for 3 days now. Nevertheless, I installed Merlin on it not because it's not working, but just for fun. It's OK, still. Just to be save I reset to factory defaults once again and it's working perfectly - strong signals and great speed - just like the first 15-20 min. after I turned it on. I did not change absolutely anything in the settings besides opting for separate names of the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks.

I really hate when this happens. Now I don't know if I should expect that to happen sometime again in the future. I have one month to decide if I want to return it. I searched for alternatives and was wondering about returning it and getting the AX 88U Pro or TP-Link Archer AXE300. I really don't care too much about 6e. I have very few IoT at home (appartment). I don't care about mesh, etc. I only want a single WiFi blaster at the center of my apartment.

I don't know what to do - keep or return. And if I return it, I could get the AX 88U Pro, it will be a bit more expensive, but not much. What are your thoughts? Overall I really like the device I'm only afraid of the issue that happened.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-05_15-41-53 (2).png
    Screenshot_2023-12-05_15-41-53 (2).png
    75 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @ptankov.

I consider the RT-AX86U Pro an unbalanced hardware design in late 2023. Because it only has a single 2.5GbE port (that can be used for WAN or LAN).

If you don't have/need any LAN device support for 2.5GbE LAN, or, you will never upgrade beyond 1Gbps ISP speeds, then this point is moot for you.

I am concerned with the speeds in your screenshot though. Is that with your handheld/mobile device? The router should easily be able to give you your maximum ISP speeds on a laptop PC in Performance mode and/or while it is plugged into AC power.

Are you able to get any warranty/peace of mind for the unit you now have at a good price?

My gut feeling is that the RT-AX88U Pro will be a supported product for much longer, as it is a more balanced (hardware-wise) model with 2x 2.5GbE ports, for both WAN and LAN, simultaneously).

Depending on the actual price difference, I would always buy the more balanced hardware model. Not only does this give me options when circumstances change, but it will also make the router more valuable in the future if you want to sell/upgrade to WiFi 7 Gen2+ or better.

@L&LD , you are completely right about the speeds shown in my previous screen shot. I was so baffled by the big numbers that I didn't even notice that they should, in fact, be higher, because My ISP plan is 600 Mbs. Previously I was maxing out my WiFi N at around 50 Mbps and when I saw the triple digits I was happy :) Now, I made a new test - see the new attached screen shot, it is what it's supposed to be.

* UPDATE: So, those mediocre speeds in my previous screen shot were from the very beginning of setting up the router. Appears it wasn't actually functioning properly from the very start.

>Are you able to get any warranty/peace of mind for the unit you now have at a good price?
No idea. I've never bothered to ask for any warranty when I buy from Amazon so far.

>My gut feeling is that the RT-AX88U Pro will be a supported product for much longer...
This is an interesting thought which didn't cross my mind.

>or, you will never upgrade beyond 1Gbps ISP speeds, then this point is moot for you.
My ISP gives me fiber to the home (FTTH). Since my router doesn't have an SFP port, the ISP has given me (for free) their device, which is also some kind of 3-in-1 1) router; 2) LAN switch; 3) AP, but I have disabled its WiFi and have plugged my wifi router to one of its LAN ports. I think those ports are 1G max, not sure, have to check. Maybe if I upgrade my Internet plan, they will provide me with another device - who knows, or a media converter, but I don't know if those have multiGig LAN ports.

>Depending on the actual price difference...
Actually, it appears that as of today, the price difference is small - I can get the RT-AX88U Pro for € 216.40 excl. VAT. So that makes it just 45 Euro more expensive than the RT-AX86U Pro. I have to decide fast, because that price may not stay for long. I don't know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-08_16-48-27.png
    Screenshot_2023-12-08_16-48-27.png
    61 KB · Views: 143
Yes, those speeds are much better.

Decisions, decisions! Is 45 Euros a couple of coffees and a dessert today? I'd be ordering the RT-AX88U Pro to at least compare it vs. the (RF 'excellent') RT-AX86U Pro.

But I know which one I'd keep, almost regardless of the test results. :)

Yes, when your ISP offers you higher bandwidth, they will supply an ONT with appropriate 2.5GbE ports or higher, or other methods to get those speeds.

Here is the thread in another forum where a gentleman by the nick name alect71 is explaining what nightmarish issues he had with RT-AX88U (not the pro, but still). That makes me concerned. On the other hand I read also about issues with the RT-AX88U (Pro), so maybe it doesn't really matter, because they use same software and for the most part same hardware.

I also like the RT-AX88U Pro for another bizarre reason. I am a little bit OCD so I don't really like the standing figure of the AX86U, because it will be kept in a cupboard near the ceiling. That cupboard is not yet made, I will order it from a carpenter. But the space from above the door to the ceiling is not too much and I'd like that cupboard to have one shelf splitting it into two compartments - lower and higher. I plan to use the higher one some day for maybe some Synology NAS or smt. else. If I put the tall AX86U router with its antennas pointing up (which is recommended), I won't have room for the shelf. On the other hand, AX88U Pro has a big footprint of its own. Yeah, I am that kind of person - these things matter to me. :) Currently it's rat's nest, but we had a big renovation going on. (or maybe there won't be a middle shelf - I'm not sure, I guess it's too small anyway)

Attachments

• 20231208_171211.jpg
    20231208_171211.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
The 8-Port RT-AX88U can have many glitches when all 8 LAN ports are used. No Asus 8 Port model is recommended (by me), if all ports will be required. Rather, simply buy a $10 switch instead to add more ports.

These early glitches on the RT-AX88U Pro (which doesn't have 8 Ports, btw) will be ironed out in the next few firmware releases. Par for the course for a new model.

I wouldn't recommend mounting a router on the wall. A metre away (from all sides in 3D) minimum. Make that (single) shelf deep! Don't box in the router and your future options with another (middle) shelf.

To hide that 'nest, effectively, you just need some fabric/print and/or poster. See Raquel Welch's poster... Shawshank Redemption. :)

I got the ASUS RT-AX86U Pro on a Black Friday for a good deal - 171,45 €. It arrived a few days ago and I was pretty excited to test it, because I was using a 10 yo Cisco Linksys WiFi N router, which had been working with no issues, but I wanted a faster one, because I upgraded my Internet to 600 Mbs. Anyway, First tests were impressive (see attached screen shot). I made the initial setup with the phone app. But then something very strange happeed. After the first 15 - 20 min., I started getting very poor and unstable connection. Like, I'm in the same room 1 meter from the router with my laptop with clear vision and it drops the connection. Phone - too. The other laptop - too. I can barely connect and it drops from time to time. I tried many many things, resetting it a few times, rebooting it, rebooting the laptop, the phone, changing some settings I discovered in online forums, "forgetting" the networks in the phone and lapto and so on - nothing. I tried disabling beam forming, QoS, splitting the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs into two separate or in one name, disabled all kinds of settings which were supposed to help, but the router was practically useless! I tried with the latest beta firmware - same thing. I didn't try with Merlin, because I was going to return that PoS immediately to Amazon the next day. I even printed the label fro returning it with HDL. I went to sleep, but the router was in the same room but the LED indicators of the router were preventing me to fall asleep so I unplugged it straight from the power outlet.

The next day I was packing it already but remembered that I need to reset it once again so that my personal settings aren't there. I powered it on again just to reset it. I thought maybe I should reset it by holding the "reset" pin button for about 10 seconds and call it a day, but then I decided to try to connect to it once again and do the resetting from the web UI. And miracle happened! Without changing anything over night the router was just working perfectly. It's been behaving good for 3 days now. Nevertheless, I installed Merlin on it not because it's not working, but just for fun. It's OK, still. Just to be save I reset to factory defaults once again and it's working perfectly - strong signals and great speed - just like the first 15-20 min. after I turned it on. I did not change absolutely anything in the settings besides opting for separate names of the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks.

I really hate when this happens. Now I don't know if I should expect that to happen sometime again in the future. I have one month to decide if I want to return it. I searched for alternatives and was wondering about returning it and getting the AX 88U Pro or TP-Link Archer AXE300. I really don't care too much about 6e. I have very few IoT at home (appartment). I don't care about mesh, etc. I only want a single WiFi blaster at the center of my apartment.

I don't know what to do - keep or return. And if I return it, I could get the AX 88U Pro, it will be a bit more expensive, but not much. What are your thoughts? Overall I really like the device I'm only afraid of the issue that happened.
Well, I am very pleased with the AX86U Pro. I am not interested in the AX88U Pro as I feel it is ugly and may have issues with some of the Ethernet ports, It works very well on Asus firmware and Merlin 388.5 firmware. Does not bother me that it only has one 2.5 GB port as I just use it as any other LAN port although I have used it as backhaul to the AX86U. Others claim the AX88U Pro is better but their claims are unsubstantiated. Glad you got yours on "sale." Always good to save a few bucks.

FWIW, I am currently running Merlin 388.5 with Diversion. I have removed the blocking list that came with Diversion and am just using a couple of blocking list for scam, phishing and etc. My family complains when I block adds.

Stay with the AX86U Pro. It is a GREAT router!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!