What's new

Help me Choose between RT AX 86U Pro Vs RT AX 88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for chiming in, @bbunge I will think about this a little bit more. I wonder if my initial issues were because of some static electricity in a condenser or smt. You know how the ISP support person on the phone often wants you to power off your device, disconnect it from the power outlet, wait10 seconds and press the power button several times to let any residual current draw?

Now I wonder if my initial problems which I described above with my router could be due to spaces in the WiFi password. I used spaces between words in my password. Now I have changed the password to not have spaces and I hope that will prevent any potential issues in the future.

A space is just another ASCII character and they have never caused me problems through several makes of router over the years, as should be expected. I'd be unhappily amazed if that was the cause of your dilemma. Have used short sentences with complete punctuation...

Have used short sentences with complete punctuation...

Me too, but on non-Asus hardware. There were reports Asus restricts the use of some characters in passwords.

Me too, but on non-Asus hardware. There were reports Asus restricts the use of some characters in passwords.

Not only that, but some IoT devices won't let you enter the WiFi password if it has spaces. Anyway, I've also used spaces for many years without problems, but read some stuff about them online and now I've changed the password to not have spaces just to save myself from grief and banging my head against the wall in the future.

Asus router again. See post #44 above.

I own both RT-AX86U and RT-AX88U models, and have recently bought 2 RT-AX88U PROs to replace my AX86Us and downgrade the AX88U to a mesh node. I may replace it with a PRO model later.

My own experience has been that I hit issues with the configuration of WiFi on my RT-AX86Us effecting the ability of some (mainly IoT) 2.4Ghz devices. These problems only impact when the AX86U is used as a mesh node, and can be temporarily resolved by toggling Wireless Authentication Method to another setting and back to WPA2 - this has also been reported by another user. My AX88U has been rock solid for my use case once early firmware issues were resolved.

However, I think there is some information that has been overlooked in previous replies. The two routers differ in their 2.4Ghz networking - the AX86U is 3x3 and therefore can support 3 concurrent spatial streams, whereas the AX88U is 4x4 and therefore supports 4 concurrent spatial streams. My network is 2.4Ghz heavy due to IoT devices and therefore I prefer the better 2.4Ghz capacity for concurrent client connections.

So far both AX88U PROs are working well.
What are the main advantages of the AX88U Pro vs the AX88U, is it worth an upgrade? Is the Software (Firmware) the same for both?

What are the main advantages of the AX88U Pro vs the AX88U
Faster CPU, a pair of 2.5 Gbps ports, and most likely to be upgraded to the 3.0.0.6 firmware series which will include among other things VLAN support.

Faster CPU, a pair of 2.5 Gbps ports, and most likely to be upgraded to the 3.0.0.6 firmware series which will include among other things VLAN support.
Do you have the list of routers that will get the new AsusWRT 5.0 (3.0.0.6) Firmware? I see the the 88U Pro already has 3.0.0.6 available

Do you have the list of routers that will get the new AsusWRT 5.0 (3.0.0.6) Firmware? I see the the 88U Pro already has 3.0.0.6 available

I suppose you could watch this webpage and hope they update it as Pro models gain ASUSWRT 5.0 support:
(not sure what the version 3008 means... maybe that should be version 3006 or 3.0.0.6)

For example, models with ASUSWRT 4.0 support:

Me, I'm fine with assuming "Pro" models will eventually support ASUSWRT 5.0.

OE

Last edited:
I suppose you could watch this webpage and hope they update it as Pro models gain ASUSWRT 5.0 support:
(not sure what the version 3008 means... maybe that should be version 3006 or 3.0.0.6)

For example, models with ASUSWRT 4.0 support:

Me, I'm fine with assuming "Pro" models will eventually support ASUSWRT 5.0.

OE
Thanks a lot

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!