What's new

Help Requested: DDNS Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abracadabra11

Regular Contributor
I've setup an NGINX reverse proxy on my NAS, but am struggling to get subdomains to work. I originally had DDNS enabled through ASUS (mydomain.asuscomm.com), but since that doesn't seem to support subdomains I've been looking for other options. Ideally, I'd like to use one of the Merlin built-in options, but I can't figure out which supports the functionality that I need. Ideally, I'd like a free DDNS service that supports subdomains and is easy to setup from the Merlin GUI.

I previously setup an account with myfreeip.com, and although it appears to support subdomains, it isn't one of the built-in options of the Merlin GUI. I'm willing to go down the script route to get myfreeip.com working, but before doing so I wanted to ask for recommendations for simpler options that didn't require scripting.

The final setup would look something like this:
plex.myddns.com -> Media Server
webserver.myddns.com -> Web Server
cloud.myddns.com -> Self Hosted Storage

Any suggestions and/or recommendations?

** As noted in post below, setup is working now. Looking for recommendations to secure network upstream from router. **

Last edited:
Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net (It's on the Asus list)
take a level or 3 of their free IPv6 "certification" course (~2hrs, probably less for you) and they'll let you claim a /48...that'll give you plenty of subdomain space
you can even manage your A/AAAA records there...all sorts of goodness.

I've got everything setup and it's working great.

Current setup is DDNS (afraid.org) --> RT-AX3000 (port forwarding active for ports 80, 443) --> nginx reverse proxy with ssl --> server with various docker containers

Is there anything I can do to protect my network (upstream from the router)? Cloudflare doesn't seem to accept subdomains, so I can't seem to activate it on my DDNS site.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!