What's new

Help setting up a new MOCA network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scipio_ceasar

New Around Here
Hi all, I am having some trouble setting up my first MOCA network. I recently purchased a pair of Actiontec ECB6200's (I'll get to this in a minute but it seems that they are ECB7250s) along with a Actiontec WCB6200Q. I live in an apartment, but I have a bundle of Coax in my bedroom closet that go to different rooms. I located the ones that traveled to the Office and Living room. My issue is, the two ECB6200's are communicating after some rebooting and trial and error, but the WCB won't play along with them. I can't even get it to connect in a closed loop.
I followed the directions for the wifi expansion, but it will not communicate over coax. What am I doing wrong?

Back to the ECB6200/7250. These were advertised and sold to me as ECB6200s on Amazon, but whenever I go to find the manual online the 6200 has two coax ports on it, where the 7250 looks exactly what I have in my hand. I looked closer, and it seems as if Screenbeam put a sticker over top of the Actiontec branding... and that my adapter is a 7250....

This might all be answered with "There is a splitter somewhere in your wall, dang that sucks" but I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue?
I am also struggling to understand where in my line I should put the filter.
I feel like there is something obvious I might be missing, but I am very much new to the small network world.

My current Setup is this:

ISP -> Spectrum Modem -> Wifi Router -> Moca ECB6200/7250 -> splitter that came with them -> Moca ECB6200/7250 in office
-> Moca WCB6200Q in Living Room

Hi all, I am having some trouble setting up my first MOCA network. I recently purchased a pair of Actiontec ECB6200's (I'll get to this in a minute but it seems that they are ECB7250s) along with a Actiontec WCB6200Q. I live in an apartment, but I have a bundle of Coax in my bedroom closet that go to different rooms. I located the ones that traveled to the Office and Living room. My issue is, the two ECB6200's are communicating after some rebooting and trial and error, but the WCB won't play along with them. I can't even get it to connect in a closed loop.
I followed the directions for the wifi expansion, but it will not communicate over coax. What am I doing wrong?

Back to the ECB6200/7250. These were advertised and sold to me as ECB6200s on Amazon, but whenever I go to find the manual online the 6200 has two coax ports on it, where the 7250 looks exactly what I have in my hand. I looked closer, and it seems as if Screenbeam put a sticker over top of the Actiontec branding... and that my adapter is a 7250....

This might all be answered with "There is a splitter somewhere in your wall, dang that sucks" but I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue?
I feel like there is something obvious I might be missing, but I am very much new to the small network world.

ISP -> Spectrum Modem -> Wifi Router -> Moca ECB6200/7250 -> splitter that came with them -> Moca ECB6200/7250 in office

The ECB7250s are plug and play (and preferred for their 2.5GbE, imo)... if they work in the closed test loop, they should work with healthy coax segments. Integrating other MoCA adapters may require compatibility settings in their webUI(?)... or use matching adapters.

You place a MoCA filter wherever you want to stop MoCA signaling, such as escaping out your ISP cable to your neighbor.

Ideally, keep your ISP coax separate from your MoCA coax to avoid conflicts with DOCSIS signaling.

I recently added MoCA to my network.

OE

Last edited:
I’d recommend getting into the UI of the ECB6200/ECB7250 adapters to confirm their identity. ECB6200’s should be bonded MoCA 2.0 w/ 1.0 GbE network port; ECB7250’s are MoCA 2.5 w/ 2.5 GbE network ports. Not sure what the firmware revisions would be for each.

I can't even get it (WCB6200Q) to connect in a closed loop.
As for your issue, that you can’t get the WCB6200Q connected would align with the other adapters being MoCA 2.5 ECB7250 models … as the bonded MoCA 2.0 WCB6200Q (based on Broadcom chip) has known compatibility issues with MoCA 2.5 nodes.

See: Verizon MoCA 2.x Compatibility and Performance Matrix

Assuming this is the issue, you’d need to replace the ECB7250’s with actual bonded (or non) MoCA 2.0 adapters, or front the WCB6200Q (or other WAP) with another MoCA 2.5 adapter.

Last edited:

If the ISP/modem feed is wholly isolated from the coax lines interconnecting your MoCA nodes, you wouldn’t require a MoCA filter for securing your MoCA network; the ISP and modem can be direct-connected without any filters or splits, future-ready for DOCSIS 3.1*+.

That said, the “PoE” MoCA filter offers a reflective performance benefit that can still be of use for improving the MoCA network efficiency, depending on the topology chosen.

Assuming this is the issue, you’d need to replace the ECB7250’s with actual bonded (or non) MoCA 2.0 adapters, or front the WCB6200Q (or other WAP) with another MoCA 2.5 adapter.
I'm going to give a call to screenbeam/actiontec tomorrow or Sunday to hear what they say. Likely what will happen is that I'll return the WCB and replace it with a duplicate of the ECB's and have the spare router that's lying around play the extender role.