What's new

Help Setting Up Home Wireless Network (Floor Plans Included)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChicagoOutfit

New Around Here
Good evening!

I am new to setting up "enterprise-like" wireless for the home; and know that if any folks have suggestions on a proper set-up, they will be members here at SmallNetBuilder.

A family friend is moving into a single family home in Milwaukee that consists of four floors (three above grade, plus a basement). Here are some details:

• 4,000 square feet
  • 4 floors (1,000 square feet per floor)
  • House is wood frame

There is no ethernet cabling in this home, so everything will rely heavily on wireless... and there is a lot that is going to rely on wireless: multiple Roku 4 streaming devices, multiple Xbox One gaming devices, multiple Sonos streaming devices, multiple Nest internet thermostats and smoke detectors, multiple LIFX smart bulbs, an alarm system, multiple computers, and multiple mobile devices.

What I envision being enough, with my limited knowledge, is that installing two UniFi AP AC Pro access points on floors 1 and 3 should cover the entire home's wireless needs. The access points would be connected to a UniFi Switch 8-150W with a connected UniFi Cloud Key.

Does this sound correct? Questions I have are:

• There is next to zero cell reception in the basement (maybe because of its concrete foundation and walls), so perhaps the basement needs its own UniFi AP AC Pro?
  • Or, should every floor have its own UniFi AP AC Pro?
  • Should I stagger the locations of each floor's UniFi AP AC Pros (floors 1 & 3 in the back, and floors Basement & 2 in the front)?
  • Should I think about the UniFi AP AC LRs instead? Or use a combination of the models?
  • Is the upcoming Amplifi HD another solution which to consider, even though it would make use of a mesh network instead of having ethernet connections to the access points?

Please let me know if I can provide any other description(s), should you have time to make some suggestions or offer any ideas. Thank you in advance!

Blueprint-00.jpg
Blueprint-01.jpg
Blueprint-02.jpg
Blueprint-03.jpg
Blueprint-04.jpg

Your approach is basically sound. The details will be determined by experimentation and tuning once you have things installed.

There is next to zero cell reception in the basement (maybe because of its concrete foundation and walls), so perhaps the basement needs its own UniFi AP AC Pro?
Just turn on the radios you already have in the RT-AC3200 if you need them.

Or, should every floor have its own UniFi AP AC Pro?
Could be overkill. I'd run cable to each floor while you're having cable pulled and you can add the AP if needed.

Should I stagger the locations of each floor's UniFi AP AC Pros (floors 1 & 3 in the back, and floors Basement & 2 in the front)?
Central location is best if devices can be located anywhere.

Should I think about the UniFi AP AC LRs instead? Or use a combination of the models?
With multiple APs, you may end up reducing transmit power to avoid overlap. So "long range" is probably not needed.

Is the upcoming Amplifi HD another solution which to consider, even though it would make use of a mesh network instead of having ethernet connections to the access points?
"Mesh" wasn't part of the original product description and has been supposedly added. I'll know when I test it soon. But Ethernet backhaul is always the best and most reliable.

Thank you very much for your bullet-by-bullet input on this, Tim. I very much appreciate it. I think, as you mention, that I will move forward with the original plan of 2 UniFi AP AC Pros on Floors 1 and 3 and see how their range presents itself across the house.

I suppose that I can always add more UniFi AP AC Pros afterwards should I not be getting desired speeds on Floor 2 and Basement.

I'll report back when all of this happens in October. I'm looking forward to it.

If possible string ethernet taped to the walls with painters tape so you can test out placement.

Then once you have your ideal locations determined figure out how to get the access points mounted and hooked up.

Out of curiosity, if I were to purchase a UniFi AP AC Pro 5-Pack and make use of all 5 Pro's in the 4 story house... would the below plans cause "interference" (not sure of technical term) amongst the Pro's? Are they too close together? Would changing each to a different channel solve any "interference" issues?

Thank you so much in advance, I appreciate any tips.

Blueprint-00.jpg
Blueprint-01.jpg
Blueprint-02.jpg
Blueprint-03.jpg
Blueprint-04.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!