1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Help setting up VLAN on ASUS RT-AC68U

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by FalconB, Oct 14, 2018.

1. 58chev

58chev Regular Contributor

@Martineau

After upgrading to Merlin 384.7_2 the following would not work properly, at least in my case.
    Could no longer ping 192.168.20.1 from my switch

VLANSwitch.sh 20 $OPTION autodnsmasq "alias=Guest"

while fiddling around last night it would only work with bridge added to the line.

But is there a reason now that instead of VLAN 20 I now get VLAN 124 ?
    Not a big deal, just have to spend some time to reconfigure my AP to work on that VLAN, and add that vlan to my switch.

2. Martineau

Martineau Very Senior Member

The 'bridge' directive was added to complement the 'notag' directive for configuring the VLAN Switch port for users with no downstream VLAN capable switch, subsequently I wanted to ensure that the default naming convention did not conflict (as described in post #25.

Without further information it will be difficult to determine what precisely changed in your environment to apparently break the script.

P.S. I would recommend not attempting to configure a switch port between the two methods without first deleting all dnsmasq entries first.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  3. 58chev

As to why I lost connection to VLAN 20, I can't say. Other than the upgrade to the latest Merlin??? That was the only change, and that was a dirty install. I figure next FW update, I'll do a complete fresh install of everything.

This I did do, cleaned out entries in both dnsmasq files. after running the VLANSwitch del command. Even ran the status to make sure the vlan was removed.

No other vlans aside from the default on the router. On my switch only vlan 1 and 20.

Without the bridge option, I could no longer ping the vlan ip from my switch. like I said, not a big deal, just a bit of reconfig on my side.

4. Martineau

Sadly this may be the only option, so immediately after a reset to factory default (i.e. preferably without other scripts), try the original non-bridge method to recreate the VLAN to see if it is indeed v384.7_2.

5. 58chev

@Martineau
    Finally had a chance to start from scratch. I don't think it was anything to do with Merlin or your script. VLAN 20 on my switch worked fine but my AP would not hand off an IP address to a client. One little change on my AP and all is fine. :oops:
    VLAN 20 working as it should, non-bridge mode. :cool: :D
    I now have a couple of wired ports that "Guests" can use, and my Cisco AP in Autonomous mode dishing out "Guest WiFi" to family and friends.

ThanX again for all your help and creating a great script.

One question.
    Now that it's working can I remove the autodnsmasq option from the execution line?
    Since the vlan/ip/dhcp/dns entries have been inserted into dnsmasq.conf

6. Martineau

Classic PEBKAC? :p but I'm extremely grateful for the feedback,..although it was definitely a bit puzzling as to why the script apparently suddenly stopped working :confused:
    NOTE: At least it proves that the script can work in both modes (bridge vs. non-bridge) on the latest firmware.
    Yes.

The directives created by the script in/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add can always be manually tweaked to suit personal preferences, but the 'autodnsmasq' option will be ignored if appropriate directives are found ACTIVE in /etc/dnsmasq.conf, however, always including the directive acts as a failsafe should the expected directives go AWOL.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. UG543

UG543 New Around Here

@Martineau
    Can I also get a copy of your vlan script
    thanks

8. Martineau

Which router?....not all models are supported.

9. UG543

UG543 New Around Here

AC86U

10. Martineau

The script uses the 3rd-party developed 'robocfg' utility which is not present on the RT-AC86U so unfortunately the script is incompatible

see RT-AC86U can't robocfg vlan's

I did get some initial feed back about the ethctl utility etc. from one of the first users to purchase the RT-AC86U...but it lacked sufficient technical detail.

When I tried GitHub /Google searches, there was still very little info available, so not having a physical unit to test, I gave up attempting to adapt the script.