What's new

[HELP] Transmit power restriction for RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I used these commands:
nvram set wl_TxPower=160
nvram set wl0_TxPower=160
nvram set wl1_TxPower=160
nvram commit

Worked for me. GUI shows the changes, reboots keep the changes, and I absolutely got a signal boost.

When I go higher, it's like the wifi just does, that's why I wanna try higher gain antennas to test if it's just these stock ones.

Like I said, at 80 mW, if I'm in the back of my house, I drop connection and fall onto LTE. At 90 mW SOMEtimes the connection holds, but I get like 20 mbps when I should be getting 100. After going up to 160 mW, I have a strong constant connection and get full 100 mbps from my ISP. I don't transfer files over wifi so I don't care about local speeds. Lastly, I definitely never got signal at all by my mailbox which is like 30 feet further than the back of my house, now I get a cool 20-40 mbps.

You can't. Try john9527's or hggomes' forks instead.
Can you provide some links? Are they like Merlins where the firmware is just ASUS's but hacked a little?

I used these commands:
nvram set wl_TxPower=160
nvram set wl0_TxPower=160
nvram set wl1_TxPower=160
nvram commit
You need to check exactly what firmware you are running.....the TxPower variables were deprecated starting with 376 levels and replaced with txpower (note the case difference). In fact, if you reboot with TxPower vars they will be deleted.

You need to check exactly what firmware you are running.....the TxPower variables were deprecated starting with 376 levels and replaced with txpower (note the case difference). In fact, if you reboot with TxPower vars they will be deleted.
3.0.0.4.374.34_2

Definitely does NOT say Transmission Power in %, it says Transmission Rate and displays a 2-3 digit number that the GUI says is limited to 200, but with the region changes, can show up to 500.

When changing that GUI box, it only apply a the wan command, not wan0 and wan1 so I run all 3 commands.

And when I nvram commit and reboot: values are whatever I changed it too.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v16e1.18914/

For @hggomes firmware, PM him for the link.

These are both based off of RMerlin's firmware but offer different solutions depending on what you're looking for. See the change logs for both to see what they offer.
I just want a legit transmission increase, since apparently people here and RMerlin himself is saying he would rather operate within ONE countries limit instead of allow FULL usage and just warn; "YOU look up YOUR law and stay within it, it's not my job to keep you out of jail"

Which of the 2 firmwares would you suggest? I don't care about additional features really so that won't matter at all, BUT, if the BOTH offer what I need, then I'll take which ever one gets the most frequent updates.

Last edited:
I just want a legit transmission increase, since apparently people here and RMerlin himself is saying he would rather operate within ONE countries limit instead of allow FULL usage and just warn; "YOU look up YOUR law and stay within it, it's not my job to keep you out of jail"
You are totally right: leave it to consumers !!

EnGenius, another manufacturer of Wifi equipment, says:
"Important note: All EnGenius products sold in Europe complies with ETSI standard and hence bears the CE marking. Consumers are cautioned to select the appropriate transmit power (TX) with discretion in conjunction with the use of third party high gain antenna which may violate the maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP) allowed in Europe. The formula for EIRP is as follow... read more

Hereby, EnGenius Europe Technologies B.V. declares that all the EnGenius-products are in compliance with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions. For the evaluation of the compliance with these directives, the following new, and latest, standard for 2.4GHz frequency band is applied in this EnGenius-device: ETSI EN 300 328 V1.8.1. "

Link

You are totally right: leave it to consumers !!

That's no longer an option with the FCC. FCC asks manufacturers to document steps they take to PREVENT customers from working outside of allowed parameters. Meaning that if you don't prevent them, then you won't be found to be compliant.

That's no longer an option with the FCC. FCC asks manufacturers to document steps they take to PREVENT customers from working outside of allowed parameters. Meaning that if you don't prevent them, then you won't be found to be compliant.
You say it right: demanded by the FCC.
But I live in the real free world, Western Europe, and also Asian (and Canadian?) people have nothing to do with the FCC.
If ASUS is not changing their policy for products not ment for FCC-countries, they are out of our kind of people's interest. And stopping grey import (from ETSI-approved devices but not FCC-approved) is for the US-Customs a real challange, but not impossible ;) .
I hope that Asus and other big router manufacturers will soon produce products for non-FCC countries which will work like in the old days.
:) I love my EnGenius Access Point :)

I hope that Asus and other big router manufacturers will soon produce products for non-FCC countries which will work like in the old days.

Expect other countries to also start aligning with the FCC policies and start putting in place very similar requirements. Radio airwave congestion is an increasing problem worldwide. The FCC didn't go down this route just because they wanted to annoy people - it's to address an increasingly problematic situation.

In fact, I think the EU already has new regulations being discussed to review the current policies.

And the complete lack of understanding of this whole situation by various posters on these forums is a sure way to convince them that leaving it up to customers would be a really bad idea. Too many people still don't understand what's at stake there. We're talking about potential interference to critical installations, that can potentially put lives at risk if they are interfered with. Radars are far more important than having your son able to watch a cat video from the concrete basement of your house.

The problem is kind of like the Password Policy thing:
Instead of FORCING limits or requirements, DO NOT limit your service AND JUST IMMENSELY warn users.
I'd rather see a FULL PAGE POPUP that says:

WARNING WARNING WARNING: THE PASSWORD YOU CHOSE IS SO WEAK IT CAN BE GUESSED IN SECONDS!!!
IF YOUR ACCOUNT GETS HACKED, WE ARE IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE AND OR WILL NOT ASSIST YOU IN ANY WAYS
DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?

Than: Please try again. Your password MUST be 64 OR MORE characters long AND include Uppercase, lowercase, Numbers AND Special characters before you can continue.

So for routers:
WARNING!!! PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR COUNTRIES TRANSMISSION POLICY BEFORE CONTINUING.
IF YOU GET SUED OR FINED OR SHUTDOWN: WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE AND WILL NOT HELP YOU.
DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?

Instead of: Oh, your countries limit is a full watt of transmission power? Well we're going to limit you to 85 miliwatts. Have a nice day.

What does nvram set wl_TxPower=xxx

-> 2,4GHz nvram set wl0_TxPower=500
-> 5GHz nvram set wl1_TxPower=500

This thread is over 2 years old and none of the information is relevant anymore.
So we definitely need different attennas in order to actually transmit at 500mW otherwise we are just creating noise?

I found that choosing the proper wifi channels and bands actually allowed me to gain higher output signals, which increased my coverage.

You need to check exactly what firmware you are running.
This thread is over 2 years old and none of the information is relevant anymore.
I am currently running firmware:
374.43_28E2j9527
3.0.0.4.374.43_28E2j9527

When I run the commands, they stick after reboots and display in the GUI.

That would mean my router is operating at that output and it is more stable, at further distances, with better speeds than at the 200mW option.

That is all that I am saying.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!