What's new

Skynet Help with Fixing Skynet Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wayne Hutchinson

Occasional Visitor
I have been using Skynet for a couple of year and this morning I found that it is not running.
Using Putty and running amtm I get the following when opening Skynet -option 2. I am not sure how to correct.
Please see below:

# Router Firewall And Security Enhancements #
# By Adamm - https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS #
# 19/10/2021 - v7.2.8 #

input is not an option

Enter option ####################################################################################
/jffs/scripts/firewall: /tmp/mnt/SkyNet/skynet/skynet.cfg: line 1: SYN: not found
/jffs/scripts/firewall: /tmp/mnt/SkyNet/skynet/skynet.cfg: line 2: syntax error: unexpected "("
amtm 3.2.3 FW by thelonelycoder

Please help me get this resolved.

Thanks
Rew

I have been using Skynet for a couple of year and this morning I found that it is not running.
Using Putty and running amtm I get the following when opening Skynet -option 2. I am not sure how to correct.
Please see below:

# Router Firewall And Security Enhancements #
# By Adamm - https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS #
# 19/10/2021 - v7.2.8 #

input is not an option

Enter option ####################################################################################
/jffs/scripts/firewall: /tmp/mnt/SkyNet/skynet/skynet.cfg: line 1: SYN: not found
/jffs/scripts/firewall: /tmp/mnt/SkyNet/skynet/skynet.cfg: line 2: syntax error: unexpected "("
amtm 3.2.3 FW by thelonelycoder

Please help me get this resolved.

Thanks
Rew

Skynet: Option 15, then reboot, then reinstall.

Unless the USB died and went into read only mode.

I cannot get to Skynet menu to run that option 15.
Should I format the drive and then reinstall?
Would deleting the swap file be of any help?

Thanks
Rew

I cannot get to Skynet menu to run that option 15.
Should I format the drive and then reinstall?
Would deleting the swap file be of any help?

Thanks
Rew

Format the USB in a PC to another format (NTFS, exFAT, whatever) AND try writing a file to the drive.
See if the drive wipes clean and it will accept writes.

On the Router:
Tick the box to wipe the JFFS partition on next reboot, HIT APPLY on bottom of screen, then reboot without the USB installed

Fresh start, put the USB in the router and use AMTM to format the drive to EXT4 with Journaling ON.

Reinstall whatever scripts you are running.

Thanks John, this is where I am at now.
My router is a Asus RT-AC5300 running the latest firmware Asuswrt-Merlin v 386.5_2
AMTM is built in to firmware.
When I check for script updates it indicates all are current.

I changed to a new USB Drive
Checked - JFFS on next boot
Used Putty and formatted USB drive like you stated, rebooted but when I open Skynet it cannot find the USB drive.
I only have the one Flash drive, no other drives.
Disk check and format logs look good.

What am I missing?

My router is a Asus RT-AC5300 running the latest firmware Asuswrt-Merlin v 386.5_2

Used Putty and formatted USB drive like you stated, rebooted but when I open Skynet it cannot find the USB drive.

What am I missing?

So drive checks out as functioning:

When you are in the router setup, I assume you (turned on USB drive / active) and made the selection for USB 2.0 or 3.0. You cannot switch ports once it is setup as it keys to the one port. Moving it afterwards breaks the connection.

Putty is not used to format the drive, AMTM script is... not sure what you did by how you wrote it???

List what scripts you're using and what order you loaded them.

If you didn't hit APPLY (on the bottom of the page/scroll down) for the JFFS wipe, you need to do it over as it did not complete as it was not saved before the reboot.

What am I missing?
Hi Wayne,

Skynet is storing the USB drive name (in my case I have named mine MERLIN_USB):

1652137932376.png

Therefore if you did not use the same one with your new USB drive or add one while your other failed USB drive did not have one then it will issue that error message.

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping I can get some help.

I am having the same or similar issue. I started getting the same error so I started with unmounting the usb, rebooting, then reinstalling. I can run the firewall script a coupe times but now it giving me a "firewall: line 5: arithmetic syntax error" error.

I am running Skynet v7.4.1 on Merlin 384.19. I have not made any changes in quite a while but found this condition when looking for something specific this morning.

I read this thread but I am not sure if I should follow the same process. I haven't worked on this thing in a long time so I don't remember most of it, like formatting the jffs partition checkbox and how to use AMTM. I can definitely go searching but I want to make sure I do the right things and minimize downtime. I need my network to stay online and minimize the downtime.

I was able to do an scp of the usb partitions so I should have that data.

Any suggestions on where I should start? My guess is that the USB is going bad so I better replace and hopefully I can do it without a rebuild.

Looking at the files, it looks like I had entware installed, which I don't even know if its a thing anymore. Some of the files do not want to copy over via scp. They are getting errors but most seem to be in the entware directory so I think the other files are good.

Can I get a new USB, have it formatted in the RMerlin UI, then just copy my files to it? Would that run like I am used to? Or would I have to reinstall stuff like entware, amtm, Skynet, or whatever else?

Last edited: