What's new

Help with Frontier/MoCa/Router with static IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

irvirv

New Around Here
Just got a Frontier Fiber business account that has 5 static IPs. The tech wired it from ONT to in-house Sagemcom FAST5290 router using existing coax. I'm having a lot of trouble provisioning out the static IPs from there to my internal equipment. It seems like the IPs are not really provisioned thru to the Sagemcom although Frontier says they are. On top of it, I cannot find a manual for the FAST5290 anywhere, including Sagemcom's site.

So question - can I replace the Sagemcom with an Actiontec Moca adapter and run the ethernet end to an OPNSense box? From there I'd try to set up my internal boxes that are to get these IPs. I know very little of what I'm doing with the OPNSense but unlike the Sagemcom router there is a ton of info out there for OPNSense (or pfSense). I see a couple of login type things in the Sagemcom setup that makes me think it would not be a direct replacement. For instance there is a login under IPv4 setup with cpe_bootstrap@frontier.com as the user and a password (starred out of course) as well as a MoCA Password under MoCa WAN advanced tab. Thinking both of these are likely critical for the current setup to talk to the ONT which a replacement adapter won't have.

Thank you!

Attachments

• moca.jpg
    moca.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IPv4.jpg
    IPv4.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 60
I think I muddied things. In short, presently it's ONT(coax) -> coax cable in house -> (coax)Sagemcom router in office. From there the Sagemcom provides wifi and ethernet for a couple of computers that are wired. Would like to know if instead I can go ONT(coax) -> coax cable in house -> Actiontec MoCa device - ethernet. I'll then maybe repurpose the Sagemcom as wifi only or get some other wifi router. Does this sound proper? I posted setup pictures from the Sagecom that made me think this might not work. Thank you!

It'd have to be ONT -> coax -> MoCA -> some router -> the rest of your stuff. A MoCA adapter is just a bridge; it doesn't have any firewall or NAT ability, and you really must have both things at the front line of your internet connection. Whether the router has to be a Sagemcom or you can bring your own really depends on Frontier's terms of service (and whether they enforce them...)

It'd have to be ONT -> coax -> MoCA -> some router -> the rest of your stuff. A MoCA adapter is just a bridge; it doesn't have any firewall or NAT ability, and you really must have both things at the front line of your internet connection. Whether the router has to be a Sagemcom or you can bring your own really depends on Frontier's terms of service (and whether they enforce them...)
Thank you! Does the router mentioned need to be anything special? Can it just be an OPnSense box?

Thank you! Does the router mentioned need to be anything special? Can it just be an OPnSense box?
Mmm ... I have no personal experience with either OPnSense or Frontier, so I can't say. In theory OPnSense should be able to do what you need done, but maybe Frontier does something that makes life complicated. I'd say hook it up and see if it works. (But make sure you have good firewall rules in place on the router, or you could get pwned before you know it.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!