What's new

help with linphonerc: soundcard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lostpacket

New Around Here
Hello,
I'm attempting to get linphone working on the RT-N66U running Asuswrt-Merlin, Version 3.0.0.3.178.15.

linphonec complains:

"ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
"
(followed by 10-15 similar ALSA related errors)

Of course, there's no sound card on this router
Q. How to configure .linphonerc so that this doesn't happen?

Is it possible to create a "dummy" sound card device?

Has anyone got SIP working under Asuswrt-Merlin?

The main thing I'd like to accomplish is to establish a direct IP to IP SIP call.

Any help is appreciated!

There is no speaker and no microphone on your router, so what audio input/output are you expecting the program to use?

> what audio input/output are you expecting the program to use?
I was expecting to direct incoming audio data to /dev/null, and output audio from some .wav file.

linphonec offers a couple of ways to do this, specifically:
soundcard use files
play /tmp/myoutput.wav
record /tmp/myinput.wav
(or)
record /tmp/null

an alternative approach - possible with other Linux distributions - is to define a "dummy" ASLA device:
see: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-dummy
One would then specifiy the "dummy" device ID in .linphonerc with: "capture_dev_id=my-null-dev-id" (there's also a "playback_dev_id" parameter).

The latter solution would solve the problem described in OP, but assumes the availability of some "module" related daemon or "subsystem" which, apparently, isn't present (search "Modinfo soundcore"). Maybe I can install it, maybe it's completely unrealistic to pursue this - I was hoping for some perspective...

Considering "SIP" returns no search-hits in this forum, it might be nice to get a SIP project working - even if it's not Linphone based...

I think it would add too much to the firmware size for the very limited number of users who might use it. I'd recommend taking a look at Optware or Entware, they might provide you with the necessary components to do what you want, saving those extra files on a USB disk instead of inside the limited firmware flash space.

It could also be possible for someone to compile the modules, and put them on a USB disk, using a script to insmod them as needed.

Re: loading compiled modules off USB - Thanks for the ideas.

It seems (just noticed) there's a dd-wrt rev. (from Fractal) that addresses the 64k nvram issue. Hopefully there are some dd-wrt/SIP examples to draw from.

Thank you for Asuswrt-Merlin. For the last few months your firmware build resurrected the router as a useful development platform - thanks!