What's new

Help with my ASUS RT-AX58U :( Wireless Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheGodOdino

New Around Here
Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum and I found you looking for tips and tricks for my new purchase, an ASUS RT-AX58U.

I live in a house where I have my family on the ground floor and my apartment on the first floor.
The fiber connection, the ISP modem and the ASUS router are located on the ground floor and I was looking for the best wireless settings to make the most of this product both on the first floor where I live and for all smart devices for home automation (Sonoff, Google Home Devices, etc) and for all smart devices (PC, Smart TV, NAS, AC, etc).

Initially I read some guides where they advised to change many parameters in the Wireless and Professional settings but I think that everything is more messed up than before and many things no longer work as before (stupidly I didn't even make a backup before changing everything) ... the problem is that I have already configured the whole network weeks ago with DHCP, static IPs and more and I would not want to do a reset and start over.

Anyone can advise me on the optimal Wireless settings for my network?

I have also read the term Merlin several times but I did not understand if it is a more powerful custom firmware or what

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
If you've been toggling settings back and forth willy-nilly, do yourself a favor and just do a full reset again, with a manual and minimal configuration (and then take a backup of the settings). It will be the quickest route to a stable and fast network.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum and I found you looking for tips and tricks for my new purchase, an ASUS RT-AX58U.

I live in a house where I have my family on the ground floor and my apartment on the first floor.
The fiber connection, the ISP modem and the ASUS router are located on the ground floor and I was looking for the best wireless settings to make the most of this product both on the first floor where I live and for all smart devices for home automation (Sonoff, Google Home Devices, etc) and for all smart devices (PC, Smart TV, NAS, AC, etc).

Initially I read some guides where they advised to change many parameters in the Wireless and Professional settings but I think that everything is more messed up than before and many things no longer work as before (stupidly I didn't even make a backup before changing everything) ... the problem is that I have already configured the whole network weeks ago with DHCP, static IPs and more and I would not want to do a reset and start over.

Anyone can advise me on the optimal Wireless settings for my network?

I have also read the term Merlin several times but I did not understand if it is a more powerful custom firmware or what

Thanks for your help!

I suggest you commission your new network minimally with stock firmware to prove the new hardware, starting with current firmware reset to its default settings. Once you are confident it is working properly, you can configure it further and try other firmware, if you know you need it.

My install notes suggest a basic configuration.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!