What's new

Help with my LAN understanding 2.5 gb port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
I am moving from Wi-Fi to a LAN to improve reliability in the garage. It is isolated from the router with cinderblock, so the Wi-Fi in the garage is weak.
I have an ASUS GT-AX11000 router and I was going to pull Cat6 on the Gigabit side. Then I saw that this router has 2 extra ports that I have not used.
I am new at this, so please bear with me.
What do the 2 left most ports do for me? Can I use the 2.5 to improve the speed? Will Cat6 be the wrong cable? What is the other port?
If I use the 2.5 with the correct cable, can I send it to a switch? Does the switch have to be capable of 2.5 input from the router?
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Dave

Attachments

• 2021-10-04_15-28-47.jpg
    2021-10-04_15-28-47.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
According to the manual the 2.5G port is the "Gaming Port". So effectively it's just another LAN port that optionally can be given a higher QoS priority (to the internet). To benefit from the additional speed the switch at the other end would also have to have a 2.5GbE port, otherwise the link would just connect at 1Gb.

So if I get the correct switch, can the router gaming port be used as a 2.5gbe?
Thanks for helping me, I am learning :) Dave

Yes, you'll need a 2.5GbE switch...and Cat 6 is the correct cabling from that port to switch and further.
the 2 leftmost ports are USB3...pop over to the Merlin forum to see how people running that firmware tend to put them to use.

Uhm, how is your GT-AX11000 connected?
Did you even read the quick installation guide before setting it up?

What you call "the other port" is the WAN port which should be connected to your internet connection, with the only exception being if you have another router.

As for the 2.5Gbps port, it's what I'd call mostly useless, as the router only has one and you need two to maker proper use of it. However, it's just a "normal" Ethernet port, that can also operate at 2.5Gbps in addition to 1Gbps and slower speeds.

Yes, it can be connected to a 2.5Gbps switch, but once again, the purpose is a bit moot, since the data from the router over the remaining wired ports will only be 1Gbps.

Cat 6 is ok for runs of 50m or shorter, Cat 6A for runs up to 100m.

Sorry about that, I messed up typing. Yes I am connected to the Moden using WAN Port.
I was thinking that I could use the 2.5 in addition to the 1 GIG to feed a second switch.
Remember I am new at this.
So the end result would be a 1 gig switch in my office and a second switch off the 2.5 port.
Bad idea?
I was looking at these 2 switches
NETGEAR 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet Plus Switch (GS110EMX)
NETGEAR 10-Port 10G Multi-Gigabit Smart Switch (MS510TX) - Managed
Thank any and all help!

2x QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switch Broadcom BCM53161 chipset is what I use.

Thanks...I will look into that.
Let me put it this way, I have the GS110EMX (as I use 10Gbps between my PC and NAS) and unless you really need the ability to set up a VLAN, I would say it's a waste of money.
It has a very limited UI and in as much as it can be "fun" too look at some stats, it's so feature limited that I felt stupid in hindsight for paying extra for it compared to the GS110MX.
The MS510TX has a really odd combination of ports, I honestly don't know what Netgear was thinking when they made it, as only one 10Gbps port is useless and almost nothing uses 5Gbps, although at least all three ports can do 2.5Gbps as well. Sure, there's the SFP+ port as well for 10Gbps, but most people don't have a mixed environment in their homes.
I guess it's "cheap" now though, but keep in mind that it's actively cooled and have "server room" noise level type fans. Some people have modded their switches, but that obviously voids the warranty.
Trendnet has an 8-port, unmanaged 2.5Gbps for around $175, which is simply plug and forget, or you can get a 5-port version for about $130, with QNAP's equivalent product with a plastic housing going for $120.
Obviously the MS510TX is potentially more future proof and if you can hide it somewhere you can't hear it, I guess it's a fair purchase for the current $270 price tag, if you think you'll need the faster ports at some point in its life.

Last edited:
Thanks. I found then TEG-S380. I do not need a managed switch. This seems like a great option. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Dave

Trendnet has an 8-port, unmanaged 2.5Gbps for around $175, which is simply plug and forget, or you can get a 5-port version for about $130, with QNAP's equivalent product with a plastic housing going for $120.

if you do want more 2.5gbe ports, a couple of 10/5/2.5/1gbe ports plus full management have a look at the qnap qsw-m2108 ( 8 * 2.5gbe plus either 2 sfp+ or 2 multigig rj45 ports depending on model ). Not 'cheap' - but about the same price as the older qsw-m408-4c ( 8 1gbe + 4 multigig ) so pretty decent value, and not a lot of competition ( think zyxel has a similar unit for a similar price? )

qnap also have the new un-managed qsw-2104 - 4 * 2.5gbe ports plus 2 multigig ports, only a little dearer than the 5 * 2.5gbe qsw-1105 and nice as you can run the up-link at higher speed if your cabling can cope. However actual stock of these seems scarce, I've had one on order for a couple of months to replace my 1105 and it still hasn't shipped!

if you do want more 2.5gbe ports, a couple of 10/5/2.5/1gbe ports plus full management have a look at the qnap qsw-m2108 ( 8 * 2.5gbe plus either 2 sfp+ or 2 multigig rj45 ports depending on model ). Not 'cheap' - but about the same price as the older qsw-m408-4c ( 8 1gbe + 4 multigig ) so pretty decent value, and not a lot of competition ( think zyxel has a similar unit for a similar price? )

qnap also have the new un-managed qsw-2104 - 4 * 2.5gbe ports plus 2 multigig ports, only a little dearer than the 5 * 2.5gbe qsw-1105 and nice as you can run the up-link at higher speed if your cabling can cope. However actual stock of these seems scarce, I've had one on order for a couple of months to replace my 1105 and it still hasn't shipped!
I would guess it's a shipping related issue, as there are plenty of units available locally here.

The QSW-M2108 is nice, but as you say, a tad pricey and the downside once again is a noisy fan.

The QSW-M2108 is nice, but as you say, a tad pricey and the downside once again is a noisy fan.

m2108 is the same chassis/fan as the m408 - I've got a m408 sitting on the desk here and I can't hear it's fan ( but then again there's 5 fans in my desktop PC going, plus a NAS sitting on the desk as well)

it's all relative - but the m408/m2108 is a LOT quieter than the comparable netgears, that's for sure