What's new

Help with new technology? Devices not working with Mesh / WiFi 6...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Microfiche

New Around Here
I have Linksys WRT1900ACS that I was using since 2016 in my old 2200 square foot home - 1100 sq ft per floor.
It was working great, but I was moving into a new 3000 sq ft home, so I thought I would upgrade to a mesh system.

I bought a Nighthawk Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Mesh System (MK62) and it worked great.
Moved into the new home and set up the new Netgear MR60 main unit downstairs and the MS60 satellite upstairs, and got great coverage.
Everything was great until I bought a new Yamaha receiver and wanted to set up MusicCast so I could use wireless surround speakers with it.
After much frustration, I have discovered that, at least with one older and one newer Yamaha receiver and the mesh system, that I can't set up MusicCast.

MusicCast doesn't like components connected to different bands, and I can't split the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with the Netgear Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 mesh system, so the new receiver connects to 5 GHz and the older one can only connect to 2.4 GHz.
And MusicCast gets very unhappy.
I have spent days trying to make this work, but to no avail.
I then reverted to the old Linksys, with 2 separate SSIDs and it works beautifully. No hiccups.
So now that I appear to have some Netgear mesh components that are doorstops to me, I am wondering what a good upgrade would be that would allow separate SSIDs and boost performance?
It seems that the Asus Wi-Fi 6 mesh routers might allow you separate SSIDs, but I don't know if that nullifies any advantage to buying them?
Would appreciate any input...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!