What's new

Help with VPN client setup on AX86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DAVID LONG

Regular Contributor
I have NordVPN ready to set up on my router, but I'm not sure how to accomplish my goal?

I have a dozen or so devices using the router but I only want 2 of them to use the VPN. What are the correct DNS settings to allow that result? Do I use the DNS Director or the VPN Director , or both?

I'm getting too old for this and there are no teenagers living at home anymore. Thanks in advance.

I have NordVPN ready to set up on my router, but I'm not sure how to accomplish my goal?

I have a dozen or so devices using the router but I only want 2 of them to use the VPN. What are the correct DNS settings to allow that result? Do I use the DNS Director or the VPN Director , or both?

I'm getting too old for this and there are no teenagers living at home anymore. Thanks in advance.
1. Under LAN - DHCP server enable setting static LAN IPs and assign the two devices you want to use the VPN static IPs. I prefer to assign IPs outside the pool. Reduce the size of your VPN pool if necessary a range of 50 is more than enough for most people.

2. Download a OpenVPN file from NordVPN that is designed to work on a router. Not sure what Nord calls them.

3. Go to VPN client and select one of the VPN clients. I suggest that you use #1. Upload the open vpn file that you downloaded, check the VPN opens you want such as automatic start at boot, policy rules (not redirect all ) and then probably with Nord VPN you will also need to enter your VPN user ID and name. This may not be the same as your VPN account password. Click apply at the bottom of the page and if necessary the service state on switch. See if your VPN starts and connects. If it does then you can adjust a couple of other VPN client settings such as the kill switch and the DNS settings under the VPN client. You probably want to use either strict or exclusive and if you search this forum you will find out the advantages/ security of these setting vs the default relaxed. You probably do not want to set DNS settings under either the WAN or LAN unless you have a reason to do so and understand why.

4. Finally go to the VPN director TAB and select/add the two devices you want to use this VPN client and you previously assigned static IP.

This should be all it takes.

DNS and VPN are two different things. If you want to selectively send certain devices through the VPN set "Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel" to "VPN Director" in the VPN client options. Then use the VPN Director options.

This is from the NordVPN site...

Now you need to configure NordVPN’s DNS settings. In the left sidebar, click WAN. In the Connect to DNS Server automatically field, select No and fill in NordVPN’s DNS servers as follows:

Do i need to do this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!