What's new

Hi, new Asus DSL-AC88U user.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

THFCCAMBS

New Around Here
Hi, I've brought a 2nd hand Assus DSL-AC88U to replace my BT Smart Hub.

I've seen some excellent results so far in this upgrade.

Having a quick read of the forum thers's a lot to be learnt. Now looking at, maybe updating software from v1.10.08 build593 Aug. 16, 2021 to a Merlin software. Will I see a lot of improvements ?
Also reading about BT Fibre setting being DSL modulation G-Fast? I have mine set at AutoSync Up. Lot of reading to do.

Thanks

Merlin's own words from https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ "Asuswrt-Merlin is a third party alternative firmware for Asus routers, with a special emphasis on tweaks and fixes rather than radical changes or collecting as many features as possible."
Most pots available internet in the UK is VDSL2 (50% approx), followed by ADSL2 (10% approx), followed by G-Fast (5%), and cable/FTTP at around 30% (according to OpenReach). *Some sites will have more than one delivery method available. G-Fast requires better equipment than VDSL2 and that the "hub" is closer, so even on the same OpenReach cabinet you can have VDSL2, ADSL2, and G-Fast! If you ain't paying for G-Fast you ain't gonna be getting it!
*That firmware is well out of date, whether you switch to Merlin or not (why not ;) ) you probably ought to upgrade it!

Thanks for a detailed reply.

I did try updating in Firmware as soon as I set it up in Administration, but it said it's the latest firmware.

If I load Merlin, does it just over write the router firmware and save all setting as they was?

Thanks

The settings will carry over, but after any radical upgrade, you are probably better off fully resetting the router!
From memory, the easy way to reset the router is to power on with the WPS button pressed until there is no changing activity on the LEDs (20-30 seconds).
Finally, if you load extra scripts and apps, only load those you need!

Hi, I've brought a 2nd hand Assus DSL-AC88U to replace my BT Smart Hub.

You did a mistake. This router is 6-years old model and your BT Smart Hub is perhaps the better hardware device. This router also doesn't have Asuswrt-Merlin support. The supported model is RT-AC88U. The model numbers are similar, but both routers are different and run different firmware.

You did a mistake. This router is 6-years old model and your BT Smart Hub is perhaps the better hardware device. This router also doesn't have Asuswrt-Merlin support. The supported model is RT-AC88U. The model numbers are similar, but both routers are different and run different firmware.

I brought the router for £70 (£220 BN) which is a bargain for the better performance it giving us. The BT smart hub was ****.

Now I know I can get far better speeds etc , aI may now actually look at upgrading now to the Asus DSL AX82U or RT-AC88U

In this case I would use the BT Home Hub as a modem only and get a better router for Wi-Fi and more features. The modem doesn't have to be integrated into the router. This limits the router choice significantly and available xDSL/router combos are not the best routers around. £70 for an old router with virtually no firmware support is £70 wasted. Get an AX86U Pro instead. Someone reported good price recently in the UK.

Uve made a blunder buddy,asus shafted there customers with that piece of crap,hands down the worst asus router,I know cause I owned it,I bought it to replace my bt smart hub and it caused so much problems,it never ever felt stable,asus got alot of stick over the lack of fw support for it,ud honestly be much better sticking with the bt hub cause youl run into trouble,it's not had fw update in atleast 3y

The DSL-AC88U is officially EOL by Asus.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!