What's new

hookup wndr3700 and unmanaged switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BartP

New Around Here
Hi all,

I bought a cheap unmanaged 8 port gigabyte switch, which I presume is without an uplink port. I want to connect this to the wndr3700 wireless gigabit router.
Now I want to have all clients connected to the router and the switch to operate on the same subnet (otherwise windows clients won't be able to see eachother).

First possibility I see is to connect the 8-port switch to one of the lan-ports on the router. I think this won't work, because I /think/ it's impossible to assign an ip-address to either of the connected ports.

Second possibility is to connect the 8-port switch to the wan-port, the only port an ip-adress can be assigned to (I assume). This then makes available two options.
1) use the router in routing mode. This won't do because I will end up with two subnets.
2) use the router as an access point. This should work I think.

I can't test this here, as all the equipment is at a different place.

What do you think?

- Bart

All of today's switches have auto MDI/X, which means they don't have dedicated uplink ports. All ports automatically detect whether they are connected to a device or another switch and set themselves up correctly.

Switch ports don't have IP addresses. Devices have IP addresses.

Just connect a cable from any port on the switch to any port on the router LAN side and you'll be fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!