What's new

Need advice - Asus AIMesh with node serving as ethernet switch vs Asus router and unmanaged ethernet switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Samson

New Around Here
Hi!
Please excuse me if my question has been discussed, but I am new to the forum and I haven't been able to find my exact question.
I currently have a setup with an Asus TUF-AX5400 router with an unmanaged TP Link TL-SG105 ethernet switch on my 2nd floor for ethernet connection for 3 computers. The router is placed on the ground floor in an elevated position. This works very well, though WiFi is a little poor in the room furthest away from the router. To extend the WiFi range I am considering replacing the unmanaged ethernet switch with an Asus RT-AX57 and configure the network as AIMesh with ethernet backhaul. The TUF-AX5400 as the main router and the RT-AX57 as mesh node serving as an ethernet switch for our computers as well as WiFi range extender. Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to decide if this will negatively affect the ethernet performance compared to using the unmanaged TP Link switch. It is important to me/us that I get the best possible ethernet performance - this has priority over WiFi range.

Are there any drawbacks with using said RT-AX57 as an ethernet switch compared to using the current setup with the umnanaged TP Link switch? Anything else to consider? Any input / help is greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Samson

Should not change the Ethernet performance/capacity. You could also plug the AX57 into the switch. Or plug the switch into the AX57. While the AX57 can be had for a good price, you might consider spending a bit more for a better router/AiMesh node. Depending upon the place where you purchase it, try it and if it does not work out you can send it back. AN AX58U may be a better choice.

Thanks a bunch for your prompt response, bbunge. Much appreciated. Your suggestion to plug the AX57 into the switch would solve an installation challenge as I have limited space for a router - I didn't think of that at all. Regarding AX57 vs AX58U I just now discovered that the AX58U is 35 % off, which makes it way more worth than the AX57. How abt that :).

Again, thank you for your valuable input. Rgds,
Samson