What's new

Hosted VoIP phones will not Register with SIP ALG Disabled and call drop when enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aodhan

New Around Here
I have updated to the newest firmware release of Merlin for an Asus rt68u
before I was able to run my VoIP phone to a cloud based PBX server with no issues on the registration. Now I am seeing issues with calls dropping after 30s and when I disable the SIP ALG in the UI the phone will not REG at all. I have also telnet in to the router and set nvram set nf_sip=0 and have the same out come. I am going to set up a tap between my Asus Rt68u and my Motorola SB6141. I will test more to see what I find. Any assistance would be greatly accepted.

Hi

I've noticed in recent builds setting SIP ALG off adds an iptables rule that blocks UDP SIP. See my post: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/issue-with-sip-nat-passthrough-disabled.30761/

I think this is a bug.
I have to manually delete the entry to allow SIP through the router.

In previous builds I found the SIP ALG to be unreliable (I work for a SIP provider so I have experience) so I would recommend turning it off if your provider supports hosted NAT traversal.

I just need to find out how to submit an issue report for the iptables rule...

Cheers
Dave