What's new

Hotspot LTE with external antenna for campervan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

banz

Regular Contributor
I'm working from a campervan most days. However the cell 4G LTE signal can be spotty in certain locations. Although I'm getting 4-5 bars on my phone, the download/upload is useable when I turn on the hotspot. Probably between 1-5Mbps and high latency.

I did some research and there seems to be two solutions.

1. Get a signal booster like weboost or surecall.
2. Get a netgear nighthawk LTE router with yagi or directional antenna.

I'm leaning towards option #2 because it's a lot cheaper and I do have more use for a router than a $500 signal booster that may or may not work.

Any suggestions or is #2 not going to work?

This topic is debated often IRV2.com

I used a T-Mobile 5G hot spot for 3 weeks while in a RV at a friend's horse farm - it worked OK, not great. Also the device tried to auto-update then got stuck in a reboot loop. Supposedly that is fixed with new firmware. But T-Mobile did overnight a new device to me at a different address than my official service address.

In theory a booster takes a weak signal & makes it more usable. The external antenna must be located far enough away from internal to not cause feedback - somewhat like a microphone being too close to a speaker.

I eventually found that Tmobile used to sell Duo cell fi booster. Bought a used one and it has a coverage box + LTE box. It does say get it as far apart as possible.

Unfortunately or luckily that the camp place that I always go seems to have installed a new booster or cell tower closeby. Therefore I don't exactly know if booster is working. I know that my phone needs to be on top of the booster box or else it will just connect to the nearest cell tower.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!