What's new

how come unifi ap's are way more reliable then ac68u in ap mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apollo18

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys! I used to have a network with 8 ASUS ac68u routers as AP’s, and a ac87u router as the main router. It was a decent setup for 50ish clients but sometimes I would always run into issues where only restarting one of the access points, or the main router would fix the issue. I recently switched to a full unifi setup with USG PRO4 and 8 x uap ac pro’s and for the past year, I have never had one wifi issue nor have I had to restart them ever. But the thing that confuses me is how come it seems like these “enterprise” grade access points and equipment have way better uptimes and reliability wilst having slower chips and less ram compared to the ac68u access points? Is it just a software thing? Where the unifi firmware is superior? Or did I just have super bad luck?

Great software trumps 'just' great hardware every time. :)

RT-AC87U was never a stable platform to base a network off of, let alone one with 8 AP's. Why so many for only 50 client devices? How big of a space are you covering? How many floors? What are the walls made of?

Do you really need the 8 UAP Pros too? Did you try with fewer?

ahh i see, so even the best and most stable asus routers couldnt compete with unifi in reliabiltiy and uptimes due to the firmware/software?

and the area is very large and only 8 ap's gave enough coverage everywhere with cement walls.

yeah i tried less and 8 was a good amount!

The situation may have been reversed if you had an RT-AC3100, an RT-AC86U or even an RT-AX88U. :)

Like I hinted; the RT-AC87U is not the most stable Asus router to be released. ;)

The situation may have been reversed if you had an RT-AC3100, an RT-AC86U or even an RT-AX88U. :)

Like I hinted; the RT-AC87U is not the most stable Asus router to be released. ;)
sometimes i feel like that the main router isnt even the problem, seems like its the ap's that have to be restarted

sometimes i feel like that the main router isnt even the problem, seems like its the ap's that have to be restarted

Yes, but probably because of the main router. :)