What's new

Diversion How do I block Youtube shorts videos?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kaptanx7

Occasional Visitor
Dear friends,
Can someone tell me how I can block youtube shorts videos completely? Using diversion.

You can't do this on your router. Possible for browser extensions only.

but can't diversion help?

No DNS based blocker will help you here. The entire YouTube content comes from the multiple streaming servers around the world. You block the server - you lose everything or get switched to another server and get everything again. Only browser level applications still have the ability to filter content. Unknown for how long.

... or, if it bothers you that much, subscribe to YouTube Premium.

No DNS based blocker will help you here. The entire YouTube content comes from the multiple streaming servers around the world. You block the server - you lose everything or get switched to another server and get everything again. Only browser level applications still have the ability to filter content. Unknown for how long.
Thank you for your quick replies.

Not a solution. @kaptanx7 wants to block specific page content, not ads in videos. YouTube Premium will still show shorts as usual.
I'm 40 years old and I don't want to waste time with stupid videos. I decided to use an extension that blocks YouTube shorts with the Kiwi browser (phone). It bothers me that Youtube is similar to the TikTok application.

Just skip the shorts part and watch whatever you are interested in.

When you go to a grocery store you don't buy everything you see there.

Element picker in uBlock Origin will let you filter out Shorts. Best part is you can use in on mobile with Firefox, though I can only vouch for Android. I'm not sure if iOS allows extensions with Firefox. Alternatively, Revanced is a thing if you prefer using the Youtube app.

uBlock Origin'deki öğe seçici, Shorts'u filtrelemenize olanak tanır. En iyi yanı, mobil cihazlarda Firefox ile kullanabilmenizdir, ancak yalnızca Android için kefil olabilirim. İOS'un Firefox ile uzantılara izin verip vermediğinden emin değilim. Alternatif olarak, Youtube uygulamasını kullanmayı tercih ediyorsanız Revanced da bir seçenektir.
Kiwi browser does the same on Android phones! Moreover, it is also possible to run Chrome extensions on the Kiwi browser.

Look into ReVanced Manager if you have Android!

Dear friends,
Can someone tell me how I can block youtube shorts videos completely? Using diversion.
Perhaps this will help you in your quest:
YT Shorts was in response to the tiktok/instagram/snapchat (and whatever other platform) portrait mode explosion of content, so YT could stay relevant in the face of that. I hate it, but see how it's used for viral/guerilla social media marketing/to drive traffic to more traditional (and correct!) aspect ratios for viewing of longer form video content. get 'em on their handheld devices wanting to sit down at a big(ger) screen and watch/process/learn the content...but that's not quite how it's working out, unfortunately.

Perhaps this will help you in your quest:
YT Shorts was in response to the tiktok/instagram/snapchat (and whatever other platform) portrait mode explosion of content, so YT could stay relevant in the face of that. I hate it, but see how it's used for viral/guerilla social media marketing/to drive traffic to more traditional (and correct!) aspect ratios for viewing of longer form video content. get 'em on their handheld devices wanting to sit down at a big(ger) screen and watch/process/learn the content...but that's not quite how it's working out, unfortunately.
How does that help him block them?

I'm not sure if iOS allows extensions with Firefox.
Probably not, but that might change (on iPhone) now that Apple has released iOS 17.4 with (major) changes to comply with the EU’s Digital Market Act?

Browsers are no longer required to use WebKit under the hood, so they can become more than just a different UI.

How does that help him block them?
To encourage considering putting effort into societal change rather than their router. Or they can continue fist shaking like grandpa Abe Simpson at the kids on their lawn.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!