What's new

How do i setup, configure and secure a sftp server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TechTinkerer

Hi,

Can anyone help me with settingup a sftp server with configuring, securing it and replacing dropbear with it please?

All i have done is install the opkg sftp server...

Thanks guys, you're awesome :)

The default ssh setup works with scp.
I know, but app support especially with scp is missing on android....as i want to be able to see file tree and copy\paste scripts etc

Code:
opkg install openssh-sftp-server
That's it. Nothing else is required.
Not even changing default ports, adding certs etc? any idea where the conf is stored for the server settings?

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed the part where you said you wanted to replace dropbear. I'd guess you'd also have to install openssh-server. Personally I wouldn't bother as dropbear is pretty secure. It'll just use the usual key setup on the router.

Last edited:
Code:
opkg install openssh-sftp-server
That's it. Nothing else is required.
Thanks for this info. Do I need to restart the router after installing openssh-sftp-server

No need to restart the router after installing sftp server.

thanks all. So I have installed and restarted but I still get the same issue when I try to connect to the router using cyberduck using a sftp connection on port 22.

The error in my syslog (before and after installing) is

dropbear[4923]: Exit before auth from <192.168.xx.xx:58824>: No matching algo kex